Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Important Upcoming Dates:
Sept. 9th- SS & Recharge Teacher Orientation at 6:00pm in the Music Room
Sept. 9th High School Parent Meeting at 7:30pm in the Youth Room
Sept.13th-SS Kickoff with All Church Breakfast
Sept. 16th- Recharge & High School Youth Group Kickoff
Sept. 19th- HS Cook Out at 6pm at Pastor Michael’s House
Sept. 20th- Confirmation Parent Orientation at 10:10am in the Confirmation RoomSept. 27th- Confirmation Kickoff
High School Parent Meeting: September 9th:
All parents of our high school students are strongly encouraged to join us on September 9th at 7:30pm in the newly decorated youth room to preview the upcoming high school student calendar, to learn about the initial planning of next summer’s mission trip, sign up for updates on activities for your student, and learn how you can help make our high school ministries a continued success!
Sunday School Kickoff:
You are invited to join us for our Sunday School kickoff breakfast at 10:10am on Sunday September 13th. We will share with you more information about the many new opportunities to grow in your faith and fellowship, take questions, and celebrate the exciting year that lies ahead of us!
All Sunday School and Recharge (WNF) teachers are encouraged to attend the Teacher Orientation on Wednesday, September 9th from 6-7pm in the Christian Ed music room. See you there!
SLHS Football Breakfasts
First Presbyterian Church is hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, please call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex, or check our website.
Funeral Luncheon Coordinator Needed
First Presbyterian is in need of a PW member to fill the position of Funeral Luncheon Coordinator.
The Funeral Luncheon Coordinator duties include:
1) Visits with family about food they would like served for main dish and purchases it.
2) Assigns one of the 4 service groups to: secure workers, call for salads and cake or bars, set up, serve, and clean up for a funeral.
If you would be interested in serving in this capacity, please contact the church office and let Cheri know, or call Charlene Radcliffe at 330-6668.
Power Point Person Needed
We would like to take this opportunity to thank Chris Sill for faithfully preparing the Power Point each Sunday for our worship service. Unfortunately, Chris is unable to continue this for us, so we are in need of someone with those skills to continue with those duties. Please contact Clint if you are willing to help.
Recharge Meal Servers
A sign up sheet has been posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set tables, serve and clean up for our weekly meals at Recharge (formerly WNF).
Women’s Bible Study
All women are invited to join the Women’s Bible Study Group each Tuesday afternoon at 1:30pm beginning on September 15th in the Fireside Room.
POET Dinner Event
The next POET event will be held at The Clubhouse Restaurant at Boji Bay (behind Perkins) on Monday, September 14th at 7pm. Please RSVP on our website.
Annual Presbyterian Ladies Salad Supper
You are invited to attend an evening of fellowship, worship and good food hosted by the Mary and Martha Circle on Sept. 17, 2015, 6:00 PM at Lakeshore Center of Okoboji . Everyone is encouraged to bring friends. Our speaker this year is Bonnie Neisess. Bonnie is involved with Stonecroft Ministries. She will share her faith and journey through her topic “Life’s Treasures and Teacups”. You will be blessed with Bonnie’s message.
Sign-up sheets for this event are located in the narthex. There is a place on the sheet to indicate if you are planning to bring a friend, and if you would like to carpool from the church. We will leave the church at 5:30pm. Please sign up by Tuesday, September 15th.
Serve At The Banquet
The signup sheet is on the table in the Narthex to serve the noon meal at The Banquet on Saturday, September 26th. If you have never done this please consider volunteering. It is a well-run Christian ministry with helpful leadership to guide volunteers through the process. It is also a very rewarding experience. Please note departure times and dress code on the signup sheet. If you have questions please call the church office.
First Presbyterian Church Annual Turkey Supper
Thursday, October 22nd
First Presbyterian Church will be hosting their Annual Turkey Supper. This is an all church event and we need many helping hands to make this a success. Look for the job sign up sheet in the narthex.
Please pick up your pans &
bowls from the kitchen.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Jake & Ruth De Jong on the passing of Jake’s sister-in-law, Bernetta (Nettie) De Jong.
- Our sympathies are extended to the Jack Luhring family on his passing this past week. Jack’s funeral will be held Friday, September 11th at 11am.
- Keith Brockmeyer recovering from back surgery.
- Our sympathies are extended to Dick Morris on the passing of his wife, Shirley, this past week. Shirley’s funeral will be held Saturday, September 12th at 11am with the visitation at 10am.
- Our sympathies are extended to Sandy Krout on the passing of her brother, Warren Stinar, this past week.
- Darlene Embry recovering from a fall.
- Betty Elgin recovering from a fall.
- Martha Woodard recovering from pneumonia. Well wishes may be sent to her at 1908 W Riverbluff Dr., Brandon, SD 57005.
- Velma Ashburn recovering from knee surgery.
- Ben Kelly recovering from an accident.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Dolly Kooima as she recovers from a fall.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Michele Swanson battling with cancer.
- Marcia Andersen, who is having health concerns.
- Paul Donnenwerth battling with liver cancer.
- Brian Jones & Jay Anderson as they await transplants and further recovery.
- Teacher Orientation – 6pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- High School Parent Meeting – 7:30pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Foster Care Review Board – 8am
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Mary Circle Meeting – 9:30am
- Martha Circle Meeting – 6:30pm
- Memorial Service for Jack Luhring – 11am
- Visitation for Shirley Morris – 10am
- Memorial Service for Shirley Morris – 11am
- Reformed Service – 8:50am
- 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration for Bob & Lynn Peterson – 10am
- Sunday School Kickoff Brunch – 10:10am
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 10:15am
- Reforming Service – 11:15am
- Worship Service at Welcov – 2:45pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Deacons Meeting – 6:30pm
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Session Meeting – 7pm
Children & Adult Sunday School Classes
will resume in the fall.
Reformed (1st) Service ~
Pianist – Charlene Radcliffe
Liturgist – Bart Duncan
Ushers – Dan VanBeek and Jack & Sherryl Jones
Greeter – Ryan & Erin Davelaar
Video Taping – Dan Vicker
Nursery – Heather Sprague & June Howatt
Coffee – Ray Miller & Janice Clark
Reforming (2nd) Service ~
Singers – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran Bray, Meghan Humphrey & Ron Williams
Greeters – The Pratt family
Power Point – Blake Tillotson
Sound – Craig Tillotson
Nursery – Sarah Dirks