Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
The month of October is…
“Pastor Appreciation Month”
On Sunday, October 18, 2015 a reception will be held, hosted by our session members, to honor Pastor Clint and Pastor Michael immediately following our Reformed Service (1st). Everyone is welcome to bring cards, notes, or just show up to express your appreciation.
Are you interested in a church football playoff tailgate?
If we held a playoff football tailgate meal on Wednesday, October 28th would you come?
The meal would be included free of charge in our Recharge memberships or $3 per person! Before we planned the event we wanted to be sure that there is enough interest and food…
Would you come?
Tell us today!
Wednesday, October 14
Meal Crew: Dan & Lori Vicker, Dennis & Joyce Colton, Wayne & Kathleen Johnson
- True Spirituality by Chip Ingram ~ led byPam DenHerder
- A Modern Girl’s Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God’s Word by Jen Hatmaker ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Seven Men: And the Secret of their Greatness by Eric Metaxas ~ led by Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers
A sign-up sheet has been posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set tables, serve and clean up for our weekly meals at Recharge (formerly WNF).
Josh Heikkila, PCUSA Regional Liaison for West Africa, will be joining us for Worship and Sunday School on Sunday, October 18th. We are looking for someone to host his stay on Saturday night, October 17th. If you are willing to do this, please let the office know by Wednesday, October 14th at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-1649.
Thank you to all who helped with the fall clean-up, everything looks wonderful!!
SLHS Football Breakfasts
First Presbyterian Church is hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, please call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex, or check our website.
Funeral Luncheon Coordinator Needed
First Presbyterian is in need of a PW member to fill the position of Funeral Luncheon Coordinator.
The Funeral Luncheon Coordinator duties include:
1) Visits with family about food they would like served for main dish and purchases it.
2) Assigns one of the 4 service groups to: secure workers, call for salads and cake or bars, set up, serve, and clean up for a funeral.
If you would be interested in serving in this capacity, please contact the church office and let Cheri know, or call Charlene Radcliffe at 330-6668.
Ushers for 1st Service
We have started the process of preparing the ushering schedule for the 1st service for December 2015 and 2016. If you would like to be an usher again next year, let us know. If you would like to change when you are scheduled, let us know. If you haven’t been an usher, here is your chance to meet a quite a lot of the congregation. Let us know – either Cheri in the office or Bob Peterson.
The worship committee is looking for people to prepare communion for the first service. Communion is served the first Sunday of each month, with a couple exceptions such as Maundy Thursday. Having 2 or 3 people responsible enables both working together and schedule flexibility. Responsibility would begin in January, 2016, with training/learning available in November and December. Interested? Willing? Contact Bob Peterson with questions or to volunteer.
Power Point People Needed
We are looking for someone with power point skills to put together our Power Point presentation for our Worship Service. Please contact Clint if you are willing to help.
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
First Presbyterian Church Annual Turkey Supper FPC is hosting their Annual Turkey Supper, Thursday, October 22nd from 4:30 to 7:00pm. Carry out also begins at 4:30pm. This is an all church event and we need many helping hands to make this a success. If you have not signed up to bake a pie, work a shift, decorate or help with clean-up, please sign up today on the sheet in the narthex. Tickets are being sold by members of Presbyterian Women, you may purchase them at the door, or contact the office at 336-1649. On October 11th & 18th Jan & Linda Bolluyt will be selling tickets after the 1st worship service and Josh & Dana Bolluyt will be selling tickets before the 2nd service. Cost for the tickets are adults—$10.00, Children 5-10—$5.00, 4 yr and under are free. Please take a Turkey Supper poster to post in the community!
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 9 AM at Hey Good Cookies. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat. Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Please pick up your pans &
bowls from the table in the narthex.
- Our sympathies are extended to Pam & Phil DenHerder on the passing of Pam’s son.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Stacy Howard who has been bedridden at Avera in Sioux Falls for the remainder of her pregnancy. We are requesting meals for the Howards, family of 4.
- Roberta Carlson recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Keith Brockmeyer recovering from back surgery.
- Darlene Embry recovering from a fall.
- Velma Ashburn recovering from knee surgery.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Michele Swanson battling with cancer.
- Marcia Andersen, who is having health concerns.
- Paul Donnenwerth battling with liver cancer.
- Brian Jones & Jay Anderson as they await transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- High School Youth Group – 7:15pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- HS Act II – 8:20pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Reformed Service – 8:50am
- Pastor Appreciation – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 10:15am
- Reforming Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Session Meeting – 7:00pm
Sunday School – 10:10am
Adult Sunday School Classes
- Songs of Faith: And the stories behind them ~ led by Carol Ayres Stueven
- Wisdom from the Proverbs ~ led by Pastor Clint
Reformed (1st) Service ~
Pianist – Rachelle Gewecke
Liturgist – Doug Stueven
Ushers – Darin & Erin Radcliffe and family and Tom & Deb Ditsworth
Greeter – Vernice Wahl
Video Taping – Dan Vicker
Nursery – Breanna Cother & Kelly Stecker
Coffee – Les & Marlene Noll
Reforming (2nd) Service ~
Singers – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran Bray, Bart Duncan, Meghan Humphrey
Greeters – Mike May
Power Point – Blake Tillotson
Sound – Craig Tillotson
Nursery – Heidi DeMuth