Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Sermon Series – “Called”
We are spending three weeks thinking together about what it means to be called by God, and what we are called to do. Join us as we end the church year listening for what
God calls us to in the future.
Nov 8 – Called by
Nov. 15 – Called out
Nov 22 – Called to
Combined Worship Service – November 22nd
Please join us on Sunday, November 22nd at our Combined Worship Service at 8:50am. Following our Worship Service the children will go to Sunday School and the High School Youth will be hosting their annual Pie Auction.
Wednesday, November 11th
Meal: Chef’s Choice
Meal Crew: Dave & Nancy Dau, Karey Winkel, Rhea Sybesma, Jane Loveall, Ron & Ellen Williams
- True Spirituality by Chip Ingram ~ led byPam DenHerder
- A Modern Girl’s Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God’s Word by Jen Hatmaker ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Women of Faith by Eric Metaxas ~ led by Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
Football Breakfast – Saturday, November 14th
Thank you to all who volunteered food for the November 14th Football breakfast, the food is covered. We could still use a couple omelette makers. Please contact Clint at email@example.com if you can help.
2016 Summer Mission Trip Registration
Where: Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
When: July 16th-July 23rd
Register by: Pie Auction (Nov. 22nd)
Parent & Student Info Meeting:
***Nov. 11th in Youth Group at 7:15pm***
Annual High School Pie Auction
Need a homemade pie for Thanksgiving? Join us for our annual Pie Auction on November 22nd starting at 10:15am immediately following our combined worship service. Join us for a congregational meal, pie auction, lots of laughs and fellowship and most importantly help our high school students experience this year’s life changing mission experience! Our high school youth will be traveling to Purdue University in West LaFayette, IN to the Presbyterian Youth Triennium. Whether you contribute through baking a pie, serving the meal, or purchasing a pie, thank you! We truly couldn’t have this ministry without you.
5th-6th Grade Night Games Canceled
Due to low response from our 5th-6th grade families, the E5 team has canceled this week’s 5th-6th grades night games activity. Feel free to share with us activities you think your student would enjoy and stay tuned for other activities soon!
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
Thank you to all who have helped by making freezer meals, you have definitely helped families with this need! But, we still have some families in need of meals, so we are collecting freezer meals again, casseroles or hot dishes, here at the church and distribute them to the families in need. Thank you in advance!
Ushers for 1st Service
We have started the process of preparing the ushering schedule for the 1st service for December 2015 and 2016. If you would like to be an usher again next year, let us know. If you would like to change when you are scheduled, let us know. If you haven’t been an usher, here is your chance to meet a quite a lot of the congregation. Let us know – either Cheri in the office or Bob Peterson.
The worship committee is looking for people to prepare communion for the first service. Communion is served the first Sunday of each month, with a couple exceptions such as Maundy Thursday. Having 2 or 3 people responsible enables both working together and schedule flexibility. Responsibility would begin in January, 2016, with training/learning available in November and December. Interested? Willing? Contact Bob Peterson with questions or to volunteer.
Power Point People Needed
We are looking for someone with power point skills to put together our Power Point presentation for our Worship Service. Please contact Clint if you are willing to help.
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 9 AM at Hey Good Cookies. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat. Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Are You a Global Ministry Supporter?
You are, because the First Presbyterian Church Mission Committee supports many Global Missionaries.
Come and meet Kelly Londoni
of Zimbabwe, Africa: Pastor, Church Planter, and Director of Technology for Campus Crusade for Christ in West Africa. You are invited to join Kelly as he shares about his ministry Thursday, November 19, 7:00 p.m., in the Fireside Room.
Take this opportunity to become involved in global ministry.
Lakeshore Center Advent Series
Throughout the Sundays in Advent, the Lakeshore Center will be hosting an Advent series called Finding Refuge in Advent at 5:30pm. On December 13th they will be having a representative from the Dream Center come and speak about human trafficking. For the activity that night, they will be assembling welcome kits for new guests at the Dream Center. Our church has been asked to help gather items to be included in the welcome kits. Here are some suggested items:
- full size shampoo, conditioner, body wash
- Bath pouf
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Feminine hygiene products
- Nail clippers/files
- Journal w/pen
- Hot chocolate packs
Please pick up your pans &
bowls from the kitchen.
- Julie Calsbeek recovering from surgery.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Hannah Poolman recovering from ACL surgery.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Stacy Howard who is bedridden at Avera in Sioux Falls for the remainder of her pregnancy. We are requesting meals for the Howards, family of 4.
- Roberta Carlson recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Velma Ashburn recovering from knee surgery.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Marcia Andersen, who is having health concerns.
- Brian Jones & Jay Anderson as they await transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- HS Act II – 7:50pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Mary Circle – 9:30am
- Martha Circle – 6:30pm
- Reformed Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 10:15am
- Reforming Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- KJIA Soup & Sweets Supper – 4:30-7pm
- Session Meeting – 7pm
Sunday School – 10:10am
Adult Sunday School Classes
Beginning November 8th
- Faith in Films ~ led by Jan Bolluyt
- Reformed Faith 101 ~ led by Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~
Pianist – Arla Stover
Liturgist – Ray Miller
Ushers – Chuck & Gloria Ditsworth and Roger & Donna Harms
Greeter – Jay & Karri Anderson
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Nursery – Heather Sprague & June Howatt
Coffee – Ray & Diane Tucker
Reforming (2nd) Service ~
Singers – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran Bray, Bart Duncan & Brianna Pratt
Power Point – Brice Pratt
Sound – Kelly McKeever
Nursery – Teresa Beck