Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Sermon Series – “Called”
We are spending three weeks thinking together about what it means to be called by God, and what we are called to do. Join us as we end the church year listening for what
God calls us to in the future.
Nov 8 – Called by
Nov. 15 – Called out
Nov 22 – Called to
Combined Worship Service – November 22nd
Please join us on Sunday, November 22nd at our Combined Worship Service at 8:50am. Following our Worship Service the children will go to Sunday School and the High School Youth will be hosting their annual Pie Auction.
Happy “71st” Wedding Anniversary
Congratulations to Marvin & Anita Stockdale on their 71st Wedding Anniversary today, November 17th. Well wishes may be sent to them at 2810 Aurora Ave., #112, Spirit Lake, IA 51360.
Our Congregational Meeting has been scheduled for Sunday, November 29th immediately following our Reformed Worship Service. All members are encouraged to attend.
Wednesday, November 18th
Meal Crew: Sharma Brockmeyer, Lisa Kraus, Rhonda Reekers, Bernie & Marcia VanRoekel
- True Spirituality by Chip Ingram ~ led byPam DenHerder
- A Modern Girl’s Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God’s Word by Jen Hatmaker ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Women of Faith by Eric Metaxas ~ led by Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
Operation Christmas Child
All shoe box gifts and monetary donations are due back to the church by noon on Friday, November 20th.
2016 Summer Mission Trip Registration
Where: Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN)
When: July 16th-July 23rd
Register by: Pie Auction (Nov. 22nd)
Annual High School Pie Auction
Need a homemade pie for Thanksgiving? Join us for our annual Pie Auction on November 22nd starting at 10:15am immediately following our combined worship service. Join us for a congregational meal, pie auction, lots of laughs and fellowship and most importantly help our high school students experience this year’s life changing mission experience! Our high school youth will be traveling to Purdue University in West LaFayette, IN to the Presbyterian Youth Triennium. Whether you contribute through baking a pie, serving the meal, or purchasing a pie, thank you! We truly couldn’t have this ministry without you.
FPC Christmas Luncheon
FPC women are asked to sign up to make cookies and candy and/or to work at the FPC Christmas Luncheon on Thursday, December 10th. A sign-up sheet is located in the narthex.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
Thank you to all who have helped by making freezer meals, you have definitely helped families with this need! But, we still have some families in need of meals, so we are collecting freezer meals again, casseroles or hot dishes, here at the church and distribute them to the families in need. Thank you in advance!
Ushers & Greeters Needed for 1st & 2nd Services
We have started the process of preparing the usher & greeting schedule for our 1st & 2nd Worship services for December 2015 and 2016. If you would like to be an usher and/or greeter next year, please let us know. If you haven’t been an usher or greeter, here is your chance to meet a quite a lot of the congregation. Let us know – either Cheri in the office or Bob Peterson.
The worship committee is looking for people to prepare communion for the first service. Communion is served the first Sunday of each month, with a couple exceptions such as Maundy Thursday. Having 2 or 3 people responsible enables both working together and schedule flexibility. Responsibility would begin in January, 2016, with training/learning available in November and December. Interested? Willing? Contact Bob Peterson with questions or to volunteer.
Power Point People Needed
We are looking for someone with power point skills to put together our Power Point presentation for our Worship Service. Please contact Clint if you are willing to help.
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 9 AM at Hey Good Cookies. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat. Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Are You a Global Ministry Supporter?
You are, because the First Presbyterian Church Mission Committee supports many Global Missionaries.
Come and meet Kelly Londoni
of Zimbabwe, Africa: Pastor, Church Planter, and Director of Technology for Campus Crusade for Christ in West Africa. You are invited to join Kelly as he shares about his ministry Thursday, November 19, 7:00 p.m., in the Fireside Room.
Take this opportunity to become involved in global ministry.
Lakeshore Center Advent Series
Throughout the Sundays in Advent, the Lakeshore Center will be hosting an Advent series called Finding Refuge in Advent at 5:30pm. On December 13th they will be having a representative from the Dream Center come and speak about human trafficking. For the activity that night, they will be assembling welcome kits for new guests at the Dream Center. Our church has been asked to help gather items to be included in the welcome kits. Here are some suggested items:
- full size shampoo, conditioner, body wash
- Bath pouf
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Feminine hygiene products
- Nail clippers/files
- Journal w/pen
- Hot chocolate packs
Please pick up your pans &
bowls from the kitchen.
The Voluntary Action Center is looking for volunteers to help paint ornaments for the Tree of Love. If you are able to help, please contact Amy at the Voluntary Action Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-4444 or 330-2593. Thank you.
- Our sympathies are extended to Chris Ingraham and family on the passing of his grandma, Eunice Baird.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Jack & Sherryl Jones on the passing of their son, Brian. His memorial service will be held on Thursday at FPC at 1:30pm.
- Cooper Bartels undergoing a brain scan test on Friday.
- Julie Calsbeek recovering from surgery.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Hannah Poolman recovering from ACL surgery.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Stacy Howard who is bedridden at Avera in Sioux Falls for the remainder of her pregnancy. We are requesting meals for the Howards, family of 4.
- Roberta Carlson recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Velma Ashburn recovering from knee surgery.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Marcia Andersen, who is having health concerns.
- Jay Anderson as he await transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- HS Act II – 7:50pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Combined Worship Service – 8:50am
- High School Youth Pie Auction – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Sunday School – 10:10am
Adult Sunday School Classes
Beginning November 8th
- Faith in Films ~ led by Jan Bolluyt
- Reformed Faith 101 ~ led by Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~
Organist – Eulyn Riemersma
Liturgist – Bob Peterson
Ushers – Chuck & Gloria Ditsworth and Tom & Deb Ditsworth
Greeter – Jay & Karri Anderson
Video Taping – Dan Vicker
Nursery – Dana Kauffman
Coffee – Ray Miller & Janice Clark
Reforming (2nd) Service ~
Singers – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran Bray, Bart Duncan & Brianna Pratt
Power Point –
Nursery – Sarah Dirks