Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Annual Congregational Meeting
The Annual Congregational Meeting will be held on Sunday, January 17, 2016 immediately following our Reformed (8:50am) Service. All members are encouraged to attend.
NO APOLOGIES EVENTS January 24th and 27th
See below for details!!!
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Before you leave, please remember to drop off your winter address, the date you’re leaving and coming back to Cheri in the office. Thank you.
Wednesday, January 20th
Meal: Mexican Lasagna
Meal Crew: Lisa Kraus, Rhonda Reekers, Mike May, Milt & Ruth Nolting
- True Spirituality by Chip Ingram ~ led by Pam DenHerder
- A Modern Girl’s Guide to Bible Study: A Refreshingly Unique Look at God’s Word by Jen Hatmaker ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- What comes next? Conversation about the changing church in the 21st century? Join us as we explore what many have called the “emerging church.” Discussion will focus on how the church and world have changed in the recent past and what it might mean for the future. ~ Taught by Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
Children’s Quilts ready to finish
The children’s quilts are in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. In the past these quilts have been given to CAASA, DC Public Health for the New Moms program, LRH for the new babies, Kinship, SL Library, Prospect Hill Presbytery, Full Gospel Mission and the Parkersburg tornado victims. Lap Quilts have been given to Hilltop and Milford Nursing Center. Please help with this project which provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Presbyterian Super Bowl Party
The POET committee is planning the 1st annual Presbyterian super bowl party. Larry and Sharee DenHerder have offered to host the party at their home – 2410 Lakeside Ave in the Millers bay area. The super bowl party is February 7, 2016 from 5pm until the game is over. Maidrites and soft drinks will be provided. Please bring a side dish to share and your own drinks if you want something other than soft drinks. There is room for those not interested in the game to socialize separately. Please RSVP on our website or in the office so we know how many to plan for.
No Apologies Parent Event
The No Apologies speaker Keith Deltano will be having a parent only session at the Clay County Convention Center in Spencer on January 24th from 6:00-8:00pm. This is an incredible opportunity to join other parents to discuss the joys, challenges, and possibilities in parenting your teenager. There is no registration cost to join this nationally acclaimed speaker, but RSVP is requested at https://no-apologies.org so be sure to mark it on your calendars!
9th-12th No Apologies
The annual No Apologies event will be held on January 27th at 6:30pm. The No Apologies conference brings thousands of students from across northwest Iowa to hear a national speaker talk about wise choices, sexual purity, and Christian faith. All 7th-12th grade students are invited to meet at church at 5:30pm for a free dinner and then to leave for the event no later than 6:00pm and return by 9:15pm. There is no cost to attend No Apologies.
SPRING MUSICAL ANNOUNCED!!!
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT (MegaMix Edition)
Join us as the Iowa Lakes Community College music students and area community members perform the timeless story of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Its family-friendly storyline, universal themes and catchy music provide the most entertaining couple of hours one can spend on stage or in the audience!
This Biblical saga of Joseph and his coat of many colors will come to life in this delightful musical parable. Joseph, his father’s favorite son, is a boy blessed with prophetic dreams. When he is sold into slavery by his jealous brothers and taken to Egypt, Joseph endures a series of adventures in which his spirit and humanity are continually challenged. Set to an amazing variety of styles, from country-western and calypso to bubble-gum pop and rock ‘n’roll, this Old Testament tale emerges both timely and timeless.
“We need a large cast with at least 20 men, 20 women, an unlimited number chorus members, plus an additional children’s choir.” said Carol Ayres, Professor of Music.
Auditions will be Sunday, January 24 and Tuesday, January 26, 2016 in Room 74 on the Estherville campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Audition times for Sunday, January 24 are: children (grades 3-8) at 2:00; women (high school and older) at 3:00; and men (high school and older) at 4:00. On Tuesday, January 26, children (grades 3-8) at 6:00; women (high school and older) at 7:00; and men (high school and older) at 8:00
Performances will be April 7, 8 and 9, 2016 on the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College.
For more information please contact Carol Ayres, Professor, at (712) 330-3647 or email@example.com
- Natasha Nelson recovering from a broken elbow.
- Dave Dreeszen recovering from surgery.
- Judy Jensen recovering from back injury.
- Daniel Stover traveling to and from Tanzania, Africa.
- Gene Krueger recovering from stint surgery.
- Emily Stover recovering from an ankle scope.
- Karen Holst who is having health issues.
- Marcia Hill recovering from minor surgery.
- Betty Bell recovering from TIA and heart attack.
- Tom Brodie recovering from knee replacement surgery.
- Cooper Bartels waiting on test results.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Hannah Poolman recovering from ACL surgery.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Roberta Carlson recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Velma Ashburn recovering from knee surgery.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Jay Anderson as he await transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- HS Act II – 7:50pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Mary Circle Meeting – 9:30am
- Martha Circle Meeting – 6:30pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Worship Committee Meeting – 5pm
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Session Meeting – 7pm
Children’s Sunday School
Adult Sunday School Classes
- Faith in Films – Jan Bolluyt
- Reformed Faith 101 – Clint Loveall
Beginning January 24th
- New Member Class – Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Arla Stover
Liturgist – Kelly Swancutt
Ushers – Bernie & Marcia VanRoekel and
Les & Marlene Noll
Greeter – Jim & Jen Watts
Video Taping – Keith Brockmeyer
Nursery – Heather Sprague & June Howatt
Coffee – Jerry & Dorothy Ingvall
Reforming (2nd) Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran-Bray, Bart Duncan, Brianna Pratt
Greeter – Mike May
Nursery – Kari Bruinsma
Power Point – Brice Pratt
Sound – Kelly McKeever