Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
NO APOLOGIES EVENT
9th-12th No Apologies
The annual No Apologies event will be held on January 27th at 6:30pm. The No Apologies conference brings thousands of students from across northwest Iowa to hear a national speaker talk about wise choices, sexual purity, and Christian faith. All 7th-12th grade students are invited to meet at church at 5:30pm for a free dinner and then to leave for the event no later than 6:00pm and return by 9:15pm. There is no cost to attend No Apologies.
Ellen Williams Retirement Gathering
A retirement gathering will be held for Ellen Williams at the Spirit Lake Public Library this afternoon from 3:30-6pm. A special program will be presented at 5pm called “Hats Off to Ms Ellen”!! Please drop in and wish Ellen a very HAPPY RETIREMENT!
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Before you leave, please remember to drop off your winter address, the date you’re leaving and coming back to Cheri in the office. Thank you.
Wednesday, February 3rd
Meal: Pasta Your Way
Meal Crew: Volunteers Needed!
- True Spirituality by Chip Ingram ~ led by Pam DenHerder
- The Book of Mark ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- What comes next? Conversation about the changing church in the 21st century? Join us as we explore what many have called the “emerging church.” Discussion will focus on how the church and world have changed in the recent past and what it might mean for the future. ~ Taught by Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
Children’s Quilts ready to finish
The children’s quilts are in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. In the past these quilts have been given to CAASA, DC Public Health for the New Moms program, LRH for the new babies, Kinship, SL Library, Prospect Hill Presbytery, Full Gospel Mission and the Parkersburg tornado victims. Lap Quilts have been given to Hilltop and Milford Nursing Center. Please help with this project which provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Presbyterian Super Bowl Party
The POET committee is planning the 1st annual Presbyterian super bowl party. Larry and Sharee DenHerder have offered to host the party at their home – 2410 Lakeside Ave in the Millers bay area. The super bowl party is February 7, 2016 from 5pm until the game is over. Maidrites and soft drinks will be provided. Please bring a side dish to share and your own drinks if you want something other than soft drinks. There is room for those not interested in the game to socialize separately. Please RSVP on our website or in the office so we know how many to plan for.
Lenten Bible Study & Soup Supper
Lent through Leviticus…
This year’s topic for our Sunday night Soup and Study during Lent will be the book of Leviticus. Though most often thought of as a weird book full of strange laws (which is kind of true) Leviticus offers us a good opportunity to consider how we find guidance for Godly living, what it means to be obedient and faithful, and the standards God calls us to as His people. The meals are great and the conversations are helpful. We hope you will join us.
Each week includes supper and child care, and there is no cost. Lent is from Sunday, February 14 through March 20, with the soup supper at 4:30pm and a Bible Study from 5:15-6:00pm.
Childcare will be provided in the nursery, please notify us with the number of children. There is a sign-up sheet for food in the Narthex. Each week we need three people to bring soup, one person to bring bread, one person to bring a veggie tray and two people to bring desserts. We hope to see you there.
Join us on February 13th for our eighth annual Valentine’s dinner! Like in past years, the high school youth are planning a fantastic meal for our formal evening. Seating is at 5:15 pm and dinner will be served at 5:30pm All are welcome to join us and child care is provided (simply RSVP at sign up or with the church office). Tickets for the event are $15 per person and can be acquired after worship in the Narthex or by contacting Cheri. The table has been set, join us for an elegant evening!
SPRING MUSICAL ANNOUNCED!!!
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT (MegaMix Edition)
Join us as the Iowa Lakes Community College music students and area community members perform the timeless story of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Its family-friendly storyline, universal themes and catchy music provide the most entertaining couple of hours one can spend on stage or in the audience!
This Biblical saga of Joseph and his coat of many colors will come to life in this delightful musical parable. Joseph, his father’s favorite son, is a boy blessed with prophetic dreams. When he is sold into slavery by his jealous brothers and taken to Egypt, Joseph endures a series of adventures in which his spirit and humanity are continually challenged. Set to an amazing variety of styles, from country-western and calypso to bubble-gum pop and rock ‘n’roll, this Old Testament tale emerges both timely and timeless.
“We need a large cast with at least 20 men, 20 women, an unlimited number chorus members, plus an additional children’s choir.” said Carol Ayres, Professor of Music.
Auditions will be Tuesday, January 26, 2016 in Room 74 on the Estherville campus of Iowa Lakes Community College. Audition times for Tuesday, January 26, children (grades 3-8) at 6:00; women (high school and older) at 7:00; and men (high school and older) at 8:00
Performances will be April 7, 8 and 9, 2016 on the Estherville Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College.
For more information please contact Carol Ayres, Professor, at (712) 330-3647 or email@example.com
- Tammy (Bartels) Martin recovering from an aneurysm
- Clarence Call recovering from a stroke.
- Ken Westergard recovering from respiratory issues.
- Pat Kelly suffering with health issues.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Eleanor Daniel recovering from a stroke.
- Natasha Nelson recovering from a broken elbow.
- Dave Dreeszen recovering from surgery.
- Judy Jensen recovering from back injury.
- Daniel Stover returning from Tanzania, Africa.
- Gene Krueger recovering from a stroke.
- Emily Stover recovering from an ankle scope.
- Karen Holst who is having health issues.
- Marcia Hill recovering from minor surgery.
- Betty Bell recovering from TIA and heart attack.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Roberta Carlson recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Jay Anderson as he await transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- No High School Youth Group
- No Apologies Event, bus leaves at 5:50pm
- No 2nd Service Rehearsal
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- No HS Act II
- No Chancel Choir practice
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- Worship Service at Welcov – 2:45pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- WIC – 8:15am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Children’s Sunday School
Adult Sunday School Classes
- Passing Down the Faith – various leaders
- New Member Class – Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Arla Stover
Liturgist – Carol Armstrong
Ushers – Bernie & Marcia VanRoekel and
Les & Marlene Noll
Greeter – Jim & Jen Watts
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Nursery – Jodi Smith & Amy Profit
Coffee – Edna VanderWolde & Nancy Radcliffe
Reforming (2nd) Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Pressley Cochran-Bray, Bart Duncan, Marissa Sill & Liz Steiner
Greeter – Mike May
Nursery – Sarah Dirks
Power Point – Logan Sill
Sound – Chris Sill