Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Lenten Bible Study & Soup Supper
Lent through Leviticus…
This year’s topic for our Sunday night Soup and Study during Lent will be the book of Leviticus. Though most often thought of as a weird book full of strange laws (which is kind of true) Leviticus offers us a good opportunity to consider how we find guidance for Godly living, what it means to be obedient and faithful, and the standards God calls us to as His people. The meals are great and the conversations are helpful. We hope you will join us.
Each week includes supper and child care, and there is no cost. Lent is from Sunday, February 14 through March 20, with the soup supper at 4:30pm and a Bible Study from 5:15-6:00pm.
Childcare will be provided in the nursery, please notify us with the number of children. There is a sign-up sheet for food in the Narthex. Each week we need three people to bring soup, one person to bring bread, one person to bring a veggie tray and two people to bring desserts. We hope to see you there.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
We have a some families in need of meals, so we are beginning to collect freezer meals again, casseroles or hot dishes here at the church and distribute them to the families in need. At this time we could use a few meals for families of two and three. Thank you in advance!
We would like to thank you for the prayers, cards, gifts and words of comfort during Vern’s illness and after his passing.
Randy & Vonda Buchman
Rides Needed to Spencer Hospital
One of our members will begin radiation treatments in Spencer from February 15 through March 11th and needs rides to and from the Spencer Hospital daily. The following dates have not been filled: March 3, 4, 9, 10, & 11. Please contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-1649 if you are willing to help and for more information.
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Cantina for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Wednesday, February 24th
Meal: Pizza Bake
Meal Crew: Edna VanderWolde & Jan Bowles
More Volunteers Needed!!
- The Book of Mark ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- What comes next? Conversation about the changing church in the 21st century? Join us as we explore what many have called the “emerging church.” Discussion will focus on how the church and world have changed in the recent past and what it might mean for the future. ~ Taught by Pastor Clint
We are searching for many people to share their hobby, craft or collection on Wednesday, March 2nd at Recharge. If you are willing to share, please contact Pastor Michael at 336-1649 or email@example.com
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
February is the month for Valentines (an expression of love) and someone has presented the library with a gift of love – a generous donation for books and DVD’s. I would like to thank this anonymous person on behalf of our church members and friends. If you would like to suggest a NEW book or DVD that you think would make a good addition to our church library, please leave your suggestion in the checkout “bowl” on the library desk.
Children’s Quilts ready to finish
The children’s quilts are in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. In the past these quilts have been given to CAASA, DC Public Health for the New Moms program, LRH for the new babies, Kinship, SL Library, Prospect Hill Presbytery, Full Gospel Mission and the Parkersburg tornado victims. Lap Quilts have been given to Hilltop and Milford Nursing Center. Please help with this project which provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Cherish Center Baby Bottle Campaign
First Presbyterian Church is participating in the Baby Bottle Campaign. If you have not picked up a Baby Bottle from the library window to fill with coins, please do so. Your coins can make a difference in the lives of young mothers and their children. The proceeds of this fundraiser will be used to help Cherish House.
Changing Lives…Strengthening Families.
The Baby Bottles are due back to the church by Sunday, February 28th.
World Day of Prayer
First Presbyterian Church of Spirit Lake invites your friends, family and members of the community to join us at 1:30pm on Friday, March 4th to celebrate World Day of Prayer. The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year. The host country for WDP 2016 is Cuba. The women of Cuba call us to explore the depths of God’s love and accept the invitation to receive the realm of God as a little child (Mk. 10:13–16). Refreshments will be served following the service.
Please pick up your cake pans and bowls from the table in the narthex.
- Our sympathies are extended to Justin & Heather Sprague on the passing of Justin’s grandmother, Louise Dukes.
- Our sympathies are extended to Gene & Renae Rosenberg on the passing of Gene’s mom, Gladys, this past week.
- Our sympathies are extended to Dan & Lori Vicker on the passing of Dan’s mom this past week.
- Judy Stueven recovering from health issues.
- Bennett Stecker for healing and response to treatment.
- Jennifer Dukes Lee’s father.
- Bev Cother recovering from surgery on her arm.
- Tammy (Bartels) Martin recovering from an aneurysm.
- Pat Kelly suffering with health issues.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Natasha Nelson recovering from a broken elbow.
- Dave Dreeszen recovering from surgery.
- Judy Jensen recovering from back injury.
- Gene Krueger recovering from a stroke.
- Karen Holst who is having health issues.
- Marcia Hill going through radiation treatment.
- Betty Bell recovering from TIA and heart attack.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Mark Voss recovering from a blood clot in his leg.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Jay Anderson as he awaits transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- HS Act II – 2pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- WIC – 8:15am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Children’s Sunday School
Adult Sunday School Classes
- Passing Down the Faith – various leaders
- New Member Class – Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Rachelle Gewecke
Liturgist – Stan Sybesma
Ushers – Jan Bowles, Edna VanderWolde, Kathleen Johnson & Leo Kofoot
Greeter – Vernice Wahl
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Nursery – Megan Donnenwerth & Kyley Anderson
Coffee – Keith & Beryl Marra
Reforming (2nd) Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran-Bray, Marissa Sill & Ron Williams
Greeter – Craig Tillotson
Nursery – Dana Bolluyt
Power Point – Blake Tillotson
Sound – Craig Tillotson