Your Weekly Update
From First Presbyterian Church
Working on Worship
Worship is the thing that often brings the most of us together. What is worship and how do we do it well? Join us in the coming weeks as we explore one of our most important tasks as the church.
April 24 – How do we worship?
WANTED: MALE VOICES to join the men’s chorus singing at the Mother’s Day Service on May 8. We will be practicing on Wednesday April 27 and again on May 4 at 8:30 p.m.
Senior Voice Recital
You are cordially invited to attend the Senior Voice Recital of Jessica Schable’s students Shaelyn Adams & Tyler Jenness on Sunday, April 24th at 2pm at First Presbyterian Church, Spirit Lake. Light refreshments will be served following the recital.
Power of Choice Leadership Breakfast – Help Needed
First Pres will be serving breakfast to the Power of Choice leadership team on April 28 at 7:30am. These adults and students will be leading an event designed to encourage students to make good decisions regarding alcohol and driving. In order to serve the leadership team we are asking for 6 pans of egg-bake, 8 dozen muffins, fruit, and milk/orange juice. There is a sign-up sheet in the narthex or you can call or email the office and we will handle the sign up for you. We will also need a few people to help serve and clean up. Thanks for helping us serve local students.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
We have a some families in need of meals, so we are beginning to collect freezer meals again, casseroles or hot dishes here at the church and distribute them to the families in need. At this time we could use a few meals for families of two and three. Thank you in advance!
Church School Snacks
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/ NUT-FREE SNACK LIST has been placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red) are needed in the Canteen for Church School by 9:45am each Sunday morning.
Wednesday, April 20th
Meal Crew: Karey Winkel, Doug & Barb Johnson
Our Last Week of RECHARGE!
- Freezer Meals Class ~ Jane Loveall, Lisa Richter & Amy Benge
- The Book of Mark ~ led by Rachelle Gewecke
- A Guide to the Faith ~ Pastor Clint
Recharge Meal Servers Needed
A sign-up sheet is posted in the narthex and ready for you to sign up to help set up, serve and cleanup for our weekly meals at Recharge.
In May our church will deliver meals to community shut-ins. Delivering Meals-On-Wheels takes about 30-45 minutes. You may sign up for any amount of days. Maybe you prefer one day a week, for instance every Monday, or every day for a week or different days during the month.
Substitutes are available so don’t let the fact that you are going to be gone one time stop you from signing up. You pick up the meals at the hospital kitchen at 11:00am. This usually is done with a partner to make the job fun and faster. Meals are delivered every day of the week except Sunday.
Delivering Meals-On-Wheels to our community shut-ins is a rewarding experience and you will be glad you took part in it.
A calendar is placed on an easel in the Narthex for you to sign up. If you have any questions please contact Milt Nolting at 336-4336.
Upper Des Moines Food Pantry
The congregations of our county take turns supporting the Upper Des Moines Opportunity Food Pantry. Long ago it was decided by the churches that the county would be best served by having this pantry. Our congregation has the opportunity to provide to the pantry for the months of April and October. Please consider donating your items during the month of April. Items may be placed in the wagon in the Narthex. Monetary gifts are welcome as well.
First Presbyterian Church Spring Clean Up Day
The Building & Grounds Committee will be having the Spring Clean Up Day here at the church on Saturday, May 7th* from 9:00 am – noon. They are looking for help with cleaning up trash, washing the windows, weed pulling, garden clean-up, and removing of dead shrubs and bushes. They need your help – no special skills required! Men and women are welcome!
*If weather is bad, the clean up day will be rescheduled for the following Saturday, May 14th.
Pictures of Mom
On Sunday, May 8th, we will be honoring all moms for Mother’s Day. Please bring us your favorite picture of “Mom” to be presented in a slide show presentation on Mother’s Day.
POET Dinner Outing
The next POET event is pizza and bowling! We will meet on May 14th at Godfather’s Pizza at 6 p.m. Following supper, we will head to Corner Lanes for bowling at 7 p.m. You can come to one or the other or both. Bring the entire family! Please RSVP for bowling (on the church website or in the office) so we have enough lanes reserved.
Please pick up your cake pans and bowls from the kitchen.
- Marj Roseberry recovering from hip surgery.
- Mark Goetsch recovering from a work accident.
- Eric Avery fighting brain cancer.
- Matt Jennings recovering from pneumonia.
- Clyde Gerth dealing with health issues.
- Velma Ashburn dealing with health issues.
- Kenny Beck fighting brain cancer.
- Judy Stueven recovering from health issues.
- Bennett Stecker for healing and response to treatment.
- Jennifer Dukes Lee’s father recovering from surgery.
- Tammy (Bartels) Martin recovering from an aneurysm.
- Pat Kelly suffering with health issues.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Dave Dreeszen recovering from surgery.
- Judy Jensen recovering from back injury.
- Gene Krueger recovering from a stroke.
- Dean Miller recovering from hypothermia.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Connor Rowley recovering from an accident.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens who has been diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Jay Anderson as he awaits transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7pm
- Adult Handbell Practice – 7pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:10am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- HS Act II – 2pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Children’s Sunday School ~ 10:10am
Adult Sunday School Classes
- Faith & Modern Science – Roger Lahm
- The Book of James – Clint Loveall
Reformed (1st) Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Arla Stover
Liturgist – Walter Mendenhall
Ushers – Steve & Jan Richards, Ruth Ann Kelly, Lisa Richter & family
Greeters – Jack & Sherryl Jones
Video Taping – Keith Brockmeyer
Nursery – Kelly Stecker & Megan Donnenwerth
Coffee – Keith & Beryl Marra
Reformed (2nd) Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Pressley Cochran-Bray, Anna Coffin, Bart Duncan & Liz Spiker
Greeter – The Pratt Family
Nursery – Amy Benge
Power Point – Blake Tillotson
Sound – Craig Tillotson