Your Weekly Update
Be sure to join us for our Sunday School kickoff and “Continental Breakfast potluck” following the first worship service on Sunday, September 10th. Whether you attend the first or second service, we are asking church members to bring your favorite cold finger food breakfast item to share (muffins, scones, bagels, fruit, donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc) and we will combine our breakfast favorites for a new twist of an old-fashioned church potluck. We will then share with you more information about the beginning of our new educational year, take questions, and celebrate the exciting year that lies ahead of us!
High School Parent Meeting:
All parents of 9th-12th graders are invited to join Pastor Michael on September 6th starting at 7:00pm in the Fireside room to learn more about the variety of youth ministries available in our congregation from the Act II Bible study, to our regular Wednesday youth group, to our summer mission trip, and fellowship activities, there are plenty of ways for your student to plug into the ministry life of our congregation.
All teachers (Recharge and Sunday School) are invited to a short informational meeting on Wednesday September 6th at 5:30pm in the Fireside room to learn more about classroom policies, curriculum, and changes in this year’s programming. Thank you for your willingness to teach the young disciples in our congregation! We are blessed and excited to start the new year with you.
Again, this year, First Presbyterian Church will be hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. This has been a great experience for us and we are thankful for the opportunity to welcome the team. The numbers have grown steadily and we are regularly serving well over 70 young men at each meal. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex or sign up on our website.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
We try to keep freezer meals on hand for families in need, but our collection is getting low. So we are asking for your help in restocking the freezer. Thank you for your continued support in this ministry.
Cherish House Residents in Need of School Supplies
First Presbyterian Church will be collecting school supplies for the residents of Cherish House. They can house up to six girls but are planning on two-three for the school year. The supplies needed are loose leaf paper, notebooks, folders, 3 ring binders, markers, highlighters, pencils, pens, backpacks, scientific calculator. We will collect these supplies in the wagon in the narthex. Thank you for your support.
Hurricane Harvey struck the Texas coast late Friday, bringing lashing rain and sustained winds of 130 miles per hour. Even as its force has waned, Harvey has brought historic flooding, forcing rivers and streams from their banks, submerging homes, churches, businesses and roads, stranding thousands of people. If you would like to help support the communities devastated by this historic storm and those throughout the Gulf region who are still in the path of Harvey’s torrential rains you may make your check out to First Presbyterian Church with Hurricane Harvey in the memo and we will forward these funds on to the Presbyterian Disaster Assistance.
Also, Good News Community Church is partnering with Bless You, Inc., to provide camper trailers, drivers, supplies, etc., to the hardest hit areas. Bless You Inc., will be traveling to Texas on Saturday, September 9th. Good News will have a trailer in our parking lot to load up much needed supplies for Bless You, Inc., to transport with them to Texas. Some supplies needed are:
Good News Church will be open this week from 9am – 4pm. All supplies need to be at Good News by Friday, September 8th at 4pm to be taken on September 9th to Texas.
- Ken Westergard dealing with excess fluid.
- Steve Kwikkel with pancreatic cancer & chemo.
- Jan Richards recovering from surgery.
- Cindy Phillips dealing with cancer.
- Dave Dau awaiting upcoming surgery.
- Lawrence Lupkes beginning new treatment.
- Kelly Swancutt having medical issues.
- Jared Lewis recovering from surgery, and will go back for a 2nd surgery in 2-3 weeks.
- Lewis Johnson recovering from surgery.
- Laurie Phillips dealing with medical issues.
- Mark Goetsch recovering from medical issues.
- Linnea Lambert recovering at home.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Phil DenHerder recovering from surgery.
- Leona Koele recovering from surgery.
- Karen Clark dealing with medical issues.
- Jen Watts niece, Ellie, recovering from surgery.
- Roxie Moriston undergoing chemotherapy.
- Mike Reekers diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis.
- Kathy Huitink with ALS, and she has been chosen for a test group.
- Colleen Bomgaars recovering from a car accident.
- Paul Scharnberg battling cancer reoccurrence.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- Teacher Orientation – 5:30pm
- High School Parent Meeting – 7pm
- Ladies Coffee Break – 8:30am
- PW Coordinating Team Meeting – 4pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School Kickoff – 10:15am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Deacons Meeting – 6:30pm
- Weekly Prayer – 9am
- Women’s Bible Study Begins – 1:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Charlene Radcliffe
Liturgist – Bob Peterson
Ushers – Jack & Sherryl Jones
Greeters – Cassidy, Stacy, Croix, Sydney & Cade Howard
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Soundbooth – Tom Ditsworth, Mike Reekers & Jackie Jenkins
Nursery – Kyley Anderson
Coffee – Jim & Mary Quitno
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Brianna Pratt, Annika Stecker, Liz Steiner
Nursery – Lindsay VanderWolde
Power Point – Tillotson family
Sound – Craig Tillotson
Read Your Newsletter Here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA