Your Weekly Update
Thank you for the cards, prayers, visits, flowers from the church and food that was brought in after my recent stay in the hospital. We are so blessed to be a part of such a caring church.
Ruth De Jong
This is a wonderful congregation. Your prayers, thoughts, hugs and gifts have helped so much in this difficult time. Thank You!!!
Jim & Marlene Avery
Thank you for your prayers, calls, cards, and text messages following the loss of my Grandma Jennie Engelkes. Your kindness and caring words were greatly appreciated. It’s comforting to know others care and share God’s love during this time of loss.
Sharma, Keith, Mikayla, and Katelyn Brockmeyer
The Building & Grounds Committee is searching for volunteers interested in helping with vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, dusting & wiping tables here at the church while Vonda recuperates from knee surgery. Please contact Dan Vicker if you can help at (515)249-5062 or email email@example.com.
Wednesday, October 11th
Autumn Soup Supper
Wednesday, October 18th
Meal: Potatoes & Ham
Meal Crew: Jack & Sherryl Jones, Edna VanderWolde, Chuck & Gloria Ditsworth, Doug & Barb Johnson
Join us at Recharge with a meal beginning at 5:30pm, full youth programming, and multiple exciting adult classes to choose from at 6:10pm. Pick up a Recharge brochure in the Narthex, sign up to help on our meal rotation, and be sure to join us for another exciting year of fellowship and discipleship!
Adult Ed Classes:
- Esther in the Women’s Bible Study led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Being Men of Faith led by Pastor Clint
- Explore the Old Testament with the Great Courses
- Freezer Meal Class
First Presbyterian Church is hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. This has been a great experience for us and we are thankful for the opportunity to welcome the team. The numbers have grown steadily and we are regularly serving well over 70 young men at each meal. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex or sign up on our website.
Music Opportunity at First Pres!
As our second service at First Pres continues to grow, we would like to extend an invitation to all those with vocal and musical skills high school and older. If you have vocal or instrumental music skills, we have a place for you! Our Reforming Service at 11:15 on Sunday morning utilizes a 7-8 person praise team that includes vocalists, guitar, bass guitar, drums, and piano, as well as other instruments of all types. The praise team leads the congregation each Sunday in a variety of music including hymns and modern praise songs. We rehearse at 7:15 on Wednesday nights and 10:15 on Sunday mornings. If you have interest in participating in this important ministry of our church, come to rehearsal or contact the church office or Rachelle Gewecke at (712) 314-2292 (call or text) or firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
PW Bible Study/Fellowship NOTICE!
If you were not able to be with us for our study and discussion of how God used groups to influence the theological climate of the Jews and prepare for the coming Messiah…
- Please ask Cheri for a copy of the Study Guide
- Sign out the DVD, Session 3
- Pick up the homework we’re all completing for our next study taking place on Thursday, October 12th.
Hope you can make it to our next Bible Study/Fellowship!
Officer Nominating Time
Once again, we are starting our annual quest to find a few good men and women who feel called by God to serve as leaders in this congregation. Nominations are being taken for 2018’s new class of Elders and Deacons. Nominated persons should be people of obvious faith, vision, sound judgment, good leadership, compassion and personal integrity. Nominated persons will be prayerfully considered during the nominating committee process.
Nominations should be turned into the church office by October 15th and include the name of the person being nominated and whether you feel they should serve as an Elder or a Deacon. Both terms are three years in length. Nominations will be considered by the Nominating Committee and the election will be held at a congregational meeting which has been called for November 12th following the Reformed Service (1st).
Upper Des Moines and Spirit Life Food Pantries
The congregations of our county take turns supporting the Upper Des Moines and Spirit Life Food Pantries. Long ago it was decided by the churches that the county would be best served by having these pantries. Our congregation has the opportunity to provide to the pantries for the months of April and October. Please consider donating your items during the month of October. Items may be placed in the wagon in the Narthex. Monetary gifts are welcome as well.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
We try to keep freezer meals on hand for families in need, but our collection is getting low. So we are asking for your help in restocking the freezer. Thank you for your continued support in this ministry.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30AM has changed the location back to Hey Good Cookies. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat. Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Opportunity to Serve
Saturday, October 21st our church joins with the United Methodist Church to help serve the noon meal at The Banquet, 900 East 8th Street, Sioux Falls SD. This ministry depends on its many volunteers to serve those who are hungry for food and fellowship in a safe environment. You can chose to leave at 6:30 or 8:30 (early shift helps prepare the meal) and either car pool or drive yourself. Parking is available on the north side of The Banquet building as is the entrance door. There is a signup sheet in the Narthex or call the church office 336-1649 if you plan to go. It is a great and rewarding experience! More info at thebanquetsf.org
We are collecting new and “like new” children’s books to take along to be given to children that are guests at The Banquet. There is a collection box in the narthex. Families are encouraged to take part in this mission trip. Thank you everyone for helping!
Your Mission Committee
- Chuck Smith recovering from brain surgery.
- Jen Watts niece, Ellie, as she prepares for her initial partial prosthetic and therapy.
- April who is recovering from back surgery.
- Jada Duis recovering from mono.
- Kelly Swancutt’s uncle having tests.
- Charles Klaassen having tests in Sioux Falls.
- Kelly Swancutt seeing a specialist on Wednesday.
- Kelly Darling dealing with heart failure.
- Dee Fibelstad recovering from knee surgery.
- Kathy Huitink has ALS test group checkup on Wednesday..
- Dave Radcliffe treated at the heart hospital and recovering at home.
- Holly needing more surgery.
- Ken Westergard dealing with excess fluid.
- Steve Kwikkel with pancreatic cancer & chemo.
- Cindy Phillips dealing with cancer.
- Lawrence Lupkes beginning new treatment.
- Jared Lewis recovering from surgery.
- Lewis Johnson recovering from surgery.
- Laurie Phillips dealing with medical issues.
- Linnea Lambert recovering at home.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Phil DenHerder recovering from surgery.
- Leona Koele recovering from stroke.
- Karen Clark dealing with medical issues.
- Roxie Moriston undergoing chemotherapy.
- Paul Scharnberg battling cancer reoccurrence.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- No Weekly Prayer
- No Recharge
- No High School Youth Group
- Autumn Soup Supper 5-7pm
- Adult Handbell Rehearsal – 7pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7:15pm
- Chancel Choir Rehearsal – 8pm
- Ladies Coffee Break at Hey Good Cookies – 8:30am
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Act II at the High School office – 11:20am
- Thurs Ladies Bible Study – 1:30pm
- FPC Fall Clean-up – 8:30am-noon
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Pastor Appreciation Reception – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:15am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Adult Ed Classes – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Worship Committee Meeting – 5pm
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Tues Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Session Meeting – 7pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Rachelle Gewecke
Liturgist – Walter Mendenhall
Ushers – Randy & Vonda Buchman and John & Angie Peterson
Greeters – Todd, June, Caleb & Addison Howatt
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Soundbooth – Pat Butler, Jackie Jenkins & Milt Nolting
Nursery – Angie Peterson
Coffee – Tom & Deb Ditsworth
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran-Bray, Meghan Humphrey, Carter Lambert
Nursery – Teresa Beck
Power Point – Logan Sill
Sound – Chris Sill
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA