Your Weekly Update
This year’s Advent series will focus on various ways we trivialize, minimize, and miss the message and meaning of Christmas. Each week will highlight a theme that gets in the way of a true experience of celebrating Christ. We hope to see you as we prepare for Christmas together.
December 10th – Advert vs. Advent – Commercializing Christmas
December 17th – When it’s not a wonderful Life – Idealizing the past
Children’s Program at 11:15am service
December 24th – The 120 days of Christmas – Holiday Excess
One service at 10:00am
December 24th – Copying Christmas – Traditions, Rituals, and Meaning
Christmas Eve services at 4:00pm and 6:00pm
Advent is from a Latin word meaning “arrive,” and is used in the church for the season that precedes Christmas. The themes of Advent are waiting, expecting, joy, hope, love, and peace. Advent offers us an opportunity not to rush ahead to Christmas but prepare our hearts and minds in order to experience the true meaning of the arrival of Christ.
Orders are being taken for clothing printed with a FPC logo.
Color choices- black, grey, navy blue or pink
– logo printed in white.
Sizes s-xl are priced as listed below (add $2 for xxl and $3 for xxl)
Short Sleeve Tee – $7
Long Sleeve Tee – $9
Crewneck Sweatshirt – $13
Hooded Sweatshirt – $16
Embroidered Nike polo shirts are also available in Black, Dark Grey, and Midnight Navy for $35
Order forms – please see our web site www.fpcspiritlake.org or stop by the office.
First Presbyterian is offering something special this Advent Season.
If the holidays find you a bit scattered and anxious,
come gather with a community of other scattered souls.
Let’s slow down together.
If the holidays leave you exhausted and gasping for air, this class is for you.
If you love to move your body, this class is for you.
If you have never done yoga, this class is for you.
If slowing life down sounds peaceful, this class is for you.
As we “wait” through the Advent season to celebrate our Lord’s birth, let’s intentionally pause together with Advent Yoga. Gathering our scattered pieces, we will connect our body, mind and soul allowing us the opportunity to focus on the real reason for the season.
First Presbyterian Church member and certified Yoga instructor Coral Cochran-Bray will be leading Gentle Yoga which will be accessible to everyone regardless of age or experience. Bring a mat if you have one and wear comfortable athletic attire.
Sundays: December 10th and 17th. 2:00-3:00pm
Ushers and Greeters needed for Christmas Eve services.
Christmas Eve occurs this year on Sunday, Dec 24. There will be 3 services: one regular Sunday service at 10am, and two Christmas Eve services at 4 and 6 pm.
We need Greeters (2) and Ushers (4) for each of those services.
If you are willing to be a Greeter or Usher for any one of those services, please let Bob Peterson (332-6374) or Cheri (office) know, or see the sign up poster in the narthex.
Wednesday, December 6th
Meal: Tater Tot Casserole
Meal Crew: Jane Loveall, Jack & Sherryl Jones, Karey Winkel
Join us at Recharge with a meal beginning at 5:30pm, full youth programming, and multiple exciting adult classes to choose from at 6:10pm. Pick up a Recharge brochure in the Narthex, sign up to help on our meal rotation, and be sure to join us for another exciting year of fellowship and discipleship!
Adult Ed Classes:
- Esther in the Women’s Bible Study led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Making a Difference led by Pastor Clint
- Explore the New Testament with the Great Course by Professor Bart Ehrman begins December 6th.
- Freezer Meal Class
Sunday School “Snack Providers and Servers”
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/NUT-FREE SNACK LIST is placed in the library window or you may sign up online. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red please) are needed for Sunday School. If you leave the worship service during the last hymn, you have time to prepare your snacks for serving. On December 10th snacks will be provided by Edna VanderWolde.
Christmas Luncheon Workers Needed
The Christmas Luncheon is Thursday, December 7th at 12:30pm. We are in need of workers and cookie bakers. The sign-up sheet is located in the Narthex. We appreciate your help in serving the women of our community.
Church Directories Are Here
If you had your picture taken for the church directory, stop by the library window and pick up your copy. If you didn’t have a picture taken, please call or email the church office about getting your directory.
Annual Christmas Party
Ladies of the Mary/Martha Bible Study/Circle Group will be gathering to meet for the Annual Christmas Party for lunch at Remington’s on Thursday, December 14th, 11:30am. (Dutch Treat) Any ladies who would like to join us are welcome to come. All those who wish to participate in a gift exchange, please bring a $5 gift. Please call Cheri at 336-1649 or Charlene at 330-6668 by December 13th to RSVP.
Children’s Christmas Program
Our Youth Christmas Program will be held on Sunday, December 17th at 11:15am. All youth, ages preschool-8th grade will be participating in this service. We will be doing a dress rehearsal practice on Sunday, December 10th and 17th at 10:00am, during regular Sunday School time. Thank you!!
Christmas Goodies Await You!
Congregational Life invites you to a Christmas Fellowship, Sunday, December 17th at 10 a.m. Enjoy a Hot Chocolate Bar, Apple Cider, Christmas Goodies, Christmas music and of course, coffee! This fellowship will be while the youth are preparing to bring us their Christmas message at the 11:15 a.m. service.
Thanks for joining us!
Just a reminder that on Sunday, December 17th at 2pm volunteers are needed to help move furniture and pull carpet in the Christian Ed wing. Please bring any tools you think might be helpful. Thank you in advance!!
Welcov Christmas Tea
Everyone is invited to the Welcov Christmas Tea on Saturday, December 9th from 1:30-3pm, with entertainment from 2-3pm. Our community of family and friends have nativity sets on display and you are invited to display a nativity set as well. Please label your display and bring to Welcov the week before the tea. See you there!
Lakeshore Center Christmas Open House
Lakeshore Center invites you to their Christmas by the Lake Open House on Saturday, December 9 from 1-4pm at 1864 Hwy 86, Milford. Cookies, carols and crafts for the kids! Enter a drawing for a free night’s stay in their beautiful lodge! Must be present to win.
- Dave Bartels recovering from breathing difficulties at home.
- Keith Moriston recovering from 2nd knee replacement surgery.
- Tomy Norman recovering from a shattered hip.
- Tim Larson dealing with cancer.
- Denice Wiersma has an appointment at Mayo on Dec 5.
- Helen Gerth moved to Accura Care Center.
- Rod Johnson cancer has returned.
- Pauly Eaton diagnosed with cancer.
- Lawrence Lupkes’ cancer returned.
- Rachel Fisher dealing with pregnancy complications.
- Roger Rieck recovering from surgery.
- Ruth Ann Kelly recovering from a fall.
- Kathy Huitink being treated for pressure sores.
- Vonda Buchman recovering from knee surgery.
- Russ Thomson dealing with medical issues.
- A young man recovering from injuries.
- Abby, Pauly Eaton’s granddaughter suffering injuries after car accident.
- Jen Watts niece, Ellie, as she prepares for her initial partial prosthetic and therapy.
- Kelly Swancutt’s uncle having tests.
- Charles Klaassen having tests in Sioux Falls.
- Holly Hansen undergoing radiation.
- Steve Kwikkel with pancreatic cancer & chemo.
- Cindy Phillips clear PET scan, doing chemo maintenance.
- Laurie Phillips dealing with medical issues.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Karen Clark dealing with medical issues.
- Roxie Moriston undergoing chemotherapy.
- Paul Scharnberg battling cancer reoccurrence.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- Weekly Prayer – 4:45pm
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- Adult Handbell Rehearsal – 7pm
- Chancel Choir Rehearsal – 8pm
- Ladies Coffee Break at Hey Good Cookies – 8:30am
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Act II at the High School office – 11:20am
- Annual Christmas Luncheon – 12:30pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School -10:15am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Adult Ed Classes – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- Worship Service at Accura
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Deacons Meeting – 6:30pm
- Tues Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Charlene Radcliffe
Liturgist – Youth Sunday
Ushers – Sandy Goetsch, LaVonne Geertsema & Bob Peterson
Greeters – Art & Phyllis Attema
Video Taping – Keith Brockmeyer
Soundbooth – Jackie Jenkins, Mike Reekers & Pat Butler
Nursery – April Krull
Coffee – Keith & Beryl Marra
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Carter Lambert, Brianna Pratt & Adrie Stecker
Nursery – Teresa Beck
Sound & Power Point – Tillotson family
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA