Your Weekly Update
Again this year, First Presbyterian Church will be hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. This has been a great experience for us and we are thankful for the opportunity to welcome the team. The numbers have grown steadily and we are regularly serving well over 70 young men at each meal. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, call 336-1649, check the sign-up sheet in the narthex or sign up on our website at www.fpcspiritlake.org/football
Sunday School Kickoff Breakfast Potluck
Everyone in our congregation is invited to join us at 10:00am on Sunday, September 16th for our annual Sunday School kickoff and a “continental breakfast potluck.” Whether you attend the first or second service, we are asking church members to bring your favorite cold finger food breakfast items to share (muffins, scones, bagels, fruit, donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc) and we will combine our breakfast favorites for a new twist of an old fashioned church potluck!
Please join us for a scrumptious breakfast, a great time of fellowship, and an opportunity to hear about the many opportunities available for you to plug into the life of our congregation in the coming year. We will share about our upcoming Recharge and Sunday School adult classes and Bible studies, the different programs available for our students, as well as learn of the variety of ministry groups that serve within the congregation.
Thank you to all of you who have reached out over the past two years since Ida’s accident. We have both enjoyed reconnecting with friends and neighbors.
Ida moved to the memory unit at Keelson Harbour at the end of May. She will be moving to BeeHive Homes in Minnesota in September.
You are welcome to visit her over the next week or two before her move. Ida’s new address will be 6330 Hazeltine Boulevard, Excelsior, MN 55331
I will make frequent trips to the twin cities to spend time with Ida, our kids and grandkids. I also look forward to enjoying more time with friends and participating in local activities here.
We are grateful that this church community has been part of our journey. Your prayers and support have meant a lot to us.
Joe and Ida Estes
Men & Women’s Bible Studies
Our Men & Women’s Bible Studies begin again this week and are led by Pastor Clint. The Men meet on Thursday mornings at 9am and the Women meet on Tuesday afternoons at 1:30pm. Everyone is welcome to attend.
High School Fifth-Quarter Lock-In Rescheduled
All high school students are invited to join us following the football game on September 14th for a fifth-quarter overnight lock-in at the church. We will have a great night full of snacks, fun, and games. We will start with large group night games around 9:30pm and also have time later in the evening for Fortnite and other small group games until dismissal at 7:00am. There is no cost but if you intend to join us for the lock-in please notify Pastor Michael by Wednesday, September 12th!
All teachers (Recharge and Sunday School) are invited to a short informational meeting on Wednesday, September 12th at 5:30pm in the Fireside room to learn more about classroom policies, curriculum, and changes in this year’s programming. Thank you for your willingness to teach the young disciples in our congregation! We are blessed and excited to start the new year with you.
8th Grade Confirmation Kickoff
Parents and 8th grade students are invited to join Pastor Michael for a Confirmation orientation following the Sunday School “continental breakfast potluck” on September 16th in the Confirmation room (next to the youth room) starting at 10:45am. Join us as we explore the Confirmation calendar, talk about the meaning of Confirmation, expectations for students and their families, and to officially register your student in the program.
Sunday Morning Adult Ed
Beginning Sunday, September 23rd
The Book of Genesis
A look at where it all began. Join us as we begin working our way through the first, and perhaps most significant, book in the Old Testament. We will journey together through Genesis exploring what it says about God, Nature, people, and our world and we will examine the key players in the earliest history of people interacting with God. Bring your Bible and your questions as we discover what Scripture does and doesn’t teach about our origins and our existence.
Reforming (2nd) Service Ushers/Greeters Needed
We are in need of Ushers/Greeters for our 2nd Service. Responsibilities include distributing bulletins and greeting worshippers at the center sanctuary doors as well as taking a head count of worshippers (including praise and worship team and those in the nursery. A sign-up sheet is located in the narthex. Sign up for one week or whatever works with your schedule.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30 AM is at Lakes Regional Healthcare Coffee Shop. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat.
Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Ivan Kleve on his passing this past week.
- Joyce Ackerman hospitalized with a broken femur.
- Bob Huls who has been placed on Hospice Care.
- Marcia Hill recovering from a broken arm.
- Dorothy Fiala hospitalized with health issues.
- Martha Woodard recovering from hospitalization.
- Steve Kwikkle diagnosed with terminal cancer.
- Bill Kramer recovering from a heart attack.
- Eldon Haas recovering from surgery.
- Jim Watts, Sr. recovering at Lake Park Care Center.
- Marlene Noll recovering from surgery.
- Patti Meyer diagnosed with alzheimers.
- Wilma Kruse recovering from knee replacement surgery.
- Jo Megill recovering from hip surgery.
- Brent Kasson receiving treatments.
- Macy Jennings antibiotics extended two more weeks .
- Marj Roseberry dealing with health issues.
- Mark Voss recovering from knee surgery.
- Sharon Ringsdorf recovering from knee surgery.
- Marty Jenkins treating an infection.
- Wes Radcliffe recovering from ear surgery.
- Cassandra Canaban (Great-Granddaughter of Mary Cornell) dealing with health issues.
- John Heim doing physical therapy in Omaha.
- Kristen (Jenkins) diagnosed with a blood disease.
- JD Jenkins ongoing health issues.
- Brenda Wilson recovering from serious fall.
- Peter Knabe recovering from broken jaw.
- Dave Fagen diagnosed with leukemia.
- Melody Peyton’s cancer has returned.
- Derrick Drinovsky recovering from knee surgery.
- Jim Gayle recovering from a stroke and head injuries.
- Sheila Robinson recovering at Accura.
- Jennie Heathcote battling with cancer.
- Syl Rost battling with cancer.
- Elaine DenHerder recovering from an accident.
- Laura Fagen’s mom, Pat.
- Jan Richards dealing with health issues and tests.
- Kathy Nygaard navigating cancer treatments.
- Larry Gearke is battling cancer.
- Mandy Rodger, niece of Doug Stueven, having health issues.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one month, unless otherwise requested.
- No Weekly Prayer at FPC
- Teacher Orientation/Welcome – 5:30pm
- Handbell Choir Practice – 7pm
- Ladies Coffee Break – 8:30am
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- 9th-12th Grade Fifth Quarter Lock-In – 9:30pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School Kick-Off & Breakfast Potluck – 10:15am
- Confirmation Parent Meeting – 10:45am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Stewardship Committee Meeting – 5:15pm
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Session Meeting – 7pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Phyllis Attema
Liturgist – Ray Miller
Ushers – Randy & Vonda Buchman and Jack & Sherryl Jones
Greeters – Todd, June, Caleb & Addison Howatt
Video Taping – Dan Vicker
Soundbooth – Jackie Jenkins, Mike Reekers & Pat Butler
Nursery – Amy Profit
Coffee & Treats – Ron Jenkins, Edna VanderWolde & Jan Bowles
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Liz Steiner, Kaitlyn Nelson, Dave Graanstra, Rachelle Gewecke, Dave Boon, Gary Lambert
Greeter/Usher – Stecker family
Nursery – Kari Bruinsma
Sound/Power Point – Chris & Logan Sill
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA