Your Weekly Update
Advent Sermon Series
The Music and Message of Christmas
This year we will be letting some favorite songs of Christmas guide our advent journey. Each week, we will use a song that highlights a particular part of the Christmas story and tie it to the part of the Bible that inspired the music. Hopefully, not only will it mean you get to hear and sing your favorite Christmas Hymn, we also get to learn something from the scene it describes. Hope you can join us as we begin our path toward the manger.
Dec 23rd – Everyone’s Invited – “Angels we have heard on High”
Dec 24th – What happens when Christmas arrives? – “Silent Night”
The congregation will be sharing Christmas carols with shut ins and community members on December 19th starting at 6:00pm. All students and families are invited to join us for our pizza/lasagna dinner starting at 5:30pm and join us as we share Christmas favorites with others!
High School Christmas Party
This year’s High School Christmas Party will be held on December 19th starting at 7:30pm. Join us for the annual gingerbread house competition, a white elephant exchange ($10 maximum), Christmas music, Christmas goodies, and Christmas related games. It will be a night full of fun and fellowship, we look forward to seeing you there!
Christmas Eve Candlelight Services
We invite you to be a part of our church family for either our 4pm or 6pm Christmas Eve Candlelight Services.
Sound, Audio & Video Volunteers
If you are interested in learning more about our new system or are currently volunteering, please contact Tom Ditsworth at 336-1649 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on upcoming training sessions on the new system.
This year we will be supporting the Cherish Center as our Mission Project. If you are willing to share a poinsettia with us and donate to the Cherish Center, the cost is $15. For a poinsettia only $11.75. Please contact Cheri in the office at 336-1649 and let her know if this poinsettia is in memory of, or honoring someone. The deadline for ordering is Wednesday, December 19th.
PW Sewing (Quilters)
Beginning Monday, January 7th, the PW Sewers are trying something new. They will meet once a month on the 1st Monday of the month from 9am – 4pm. If you are able to come for all or part of that time, we would love to have you joins us. They will have a potluck lunch, so bring a dish to share such as sandwiches, soup, salad or dessert. Hope to see you there!
The children’s and lap quilts are now in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. These quilts have been given in the past to CAASA, Dickinson County Public Health for the “New Moms” program, Lakes Regional Healthcare for the new babies, Gentiva Hospice and Hilltop Care Center. Your help with this project provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Reforming (2nd) Service Ushers/Greeters Needed
We are in need of Ushers/Greeters for our 2nd Service. Responsibilities include distributing bulletins and greeting worshippers at the center sanctuary doors as well as taking a head count of worshippers (including praise and worship team and those in the nursery. A sign-up sheet is located in the narthex. Sign up for one week or whatever works with your schedule.
PW Sewing (Quilting)
Beginning January 7th, the PW Sewers are trying something new. We will meet once a month on the 1st Monday of the month from 9am – 4pm. If you are able to come all or part of that time, we would love to have you join us. We are also going to have a potluck lunch where you would bring a dish to share such as sandwiches, soup, salad, dessert. If you have any questions, please contact Vernice Wahl. Hope to see you there!
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30 AM is at Lakes Regional Healthcare Coffee Shop. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat.
Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Recharge is a multi-generational gathering of families, youth, and adults. All church members and guests are invited to participate in the weekly evening of rejuvenation, including a family style meal, educational programming, and fellowship. A schedule of activities and semester pricing are both listed below. We look forward to seeing you and your family!
Wednesday, December 19th
Meal: Pizza/Lasagna Party
Meal Crew: Jane Loveall, Stan & Rhea Sybesma
Adult Ed Classes:
Women’s Bible Study – Rachelle Gewecke
With All Your Heart – Ray Miller
Major Religions – Pastor Clint
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Matt & Amber Lippon on the passing of Amber’s grandma, Jeri Lowry. Jeri’s Memorial Service will be held here at First Presbyterian Church on Friday, December 28th at 11am.
- Marvin Stockdale dealing with health issues.
- Brent Kasson recovering from surgery.
- Heidi Brittain hospitalized with health issues.
- Jay Anderson recovering at home.
- Laurie Phillips recovering at home.
- Donna Rieck recovering from knee surgery.
- Ida Estes has moved to Bee Hive Homes, Room 8, 6330 Hazeltine Blvd, Excelsior, MN 55331
- Kathy Nygaard admitted to hospice care.
- Bill Cramer receiving cancer treatments.
- Scott & Elaine Greer recovering from kidney transplant.
- Pat Lamoureux dealing with cancer.
- Marcia Hill continued recovery.
- Connie Rohlk rehabbing a broken kneecap at Longhouse Care Center, Spencer.
- Sherry Fuhrman recovering from injuries.
- Keith Swancutt recovering from angioplasty.
- Bev Quail starting cancer treatment.
- Gary Hansen dealing with medical issues.
- Gloria Ditsworth recovering from knee surgery.
- Beth Primavera recovering from knee surgery.
- Jim Ellingson waiting for a kidney.
- Gilbert (friends of the Klosters) receiving hospice care.
- Pauly Eaton recovering from a fall.
- Jack Burrell recovering from knee surgery.
- Macy Jennings fighting lymes disease plus, four co-infections..
- Gary Eaton diagnosed with cancer.
- Dorothy Fiala hospitalized with health issues.
- Patti Meyer diagnosed with alzheimers.
- Marj Roseberry dealing with health issues.
- Marty Jenkins treating an infection.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one month, unless otherwise requested.
- Weekly Prayer – 4:45pm
- Recharge Dinner – 5:30pm
- Caroling – 6pm
- Adult Handbell Choir practice – 7pm
- HS Youth Group Christmas Party – 7:30pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- ACT II – 11:53am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- No Sunday School
- No Confirmation
- No Adult Ed
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- No PW Sewing
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Services – 4 & 6pm
- No Women’s Bible Study
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Charlene Radcliffe
Liturgist – Kathleen Johnson
Ushers – Ron Niebruegge, Bob Peterson & Doug Johnson
Greeters – Warren & Barb Jager
Video Taping – Keith Brockmeyer
Soundbooth – Jackie Jenkins, Mike Reekers & Tom Ditsworth
Nursery – June Howatt
Coffee & Treats – Ron Jenkins, Keith & Beryl Marra
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team: Kari Bruinsma, Brianna Pratt, Anna Coffin, Serena Lynch, Dave Graanstra, Dave Boon, Rachelle Gewecke, Kevin Grems
Usher/Greeter: Marcia VanRoekel
Nursery: Dana Bolluyt
Sound/PowerPoint: Tillotson family
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA