Like the rest of the country we have been watching the updates and information of our current situation and trying to plan a responsible way forward during this uncertain time. We have consulted church leaders, other congregations, local resources, etc. and below is our most up to date plan regarding First Pres.’ action plan and possible involvement. As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions.
- CHURCH SCHEDULE
- At this point, and until further notice, all weekly activities at First Presbyterian Church including Sunday worship, Recharge, youth gatherings, Bible studies, and committee meetings have been cancelled.
- The temporary cancellation of Sunday Worship will be a major challenge and we are working to provide several means of access for people to worship.
- We strongly encourage you and your family to access the video live stream from 9:00-10:00am Sunday morning if at all possible as it will contain media that won’t be part of the radio broadcast. You can tune in on Sunday morning directly from our homepage on your phone, tablet, or home television (fpcspiritlake.org)
- We will continue to broadcast on KUOO Sunday mornings from 9-10am.
- As has been the case, weekly sermons, studies, worship, etc. will be available on our website (fpcspiritlake.org/media) and we will be updating them regularly.
- Anyone can now access our services on their Roku TV or Roku streaming device. You can add this to your present device or learn more on our website at fpcspiritlake.org/roku-channel.
- We will continue our local cable broadcast on Tuesdays at 9:00 a.m. or Saturdays at 7:00 am on MC22 (local channel 80-25).
- We are asking committees and various groups to conduct as much of their business as possible via email or phone.
- PASTORAL CARE
- Pastoral care is particularly challenging as access to the local care centers and the hospital has now been restricted. Please let us know if there are pastoral concerns and we will mobilize the prayer support of the congregation and respond in whatever ways possible.
- ONLINE GIVING
- Obviously, one of the struggles of not gathering will be financial. To address this, online giving is now available through our website (fpcspiritlake.org/give) where you can give by credit card or electronic bank transfer. Other stewardship gifts can continue to be mailed to the church office at 3501 Hill Ave Spirit Lake, IA 51360.
- We have tried to imagine how members of FPC might be helpful within our community if and when the virus arrives and as families already respond to the challenges posed by the schools’ four week closure. We have been exploring the possibility of providing and delivering food and medicine for people if and when quarantines go into effect, and the possibility of being helpful with childcare needs for those within the medical community. We will pass along these opportunities as the needs arise and we have more details to share.
We will continue to be in touch regarding changes and challenges as we navigate this interesting time together. In the mean-time, use common sense, follow the advice of the experts, and do your best to protect those among us who might be most at risk from our decisions. Clearly this is an uncertain and anxious time, but we are reminded nearly 100 times in Scripture, “Do not be afraid.” Among our favorites are Isaiah 41:10 – “So do not fear, for I am with you, and do not be dismayed for I am your God.” and Psalm 56:3, “When I am afraid I put my trust in you.”
Blessings and peace,
Clint and Michael