Your Weekly Update
“Ask the Pastors”
Michael has put together a form on our web site that will let users submit questions, and then we will use class periods on Sundays and Wednesdays to do our best to answer them.
The idea is that there may be things that people have wondered, want explained, or don’t understand about church, theology, Bible, etc. This will give you all a chance to submit them anonymously and give us a little lead time to think about them and do some homework if needed. Click here to ask your question!
We thank everyone for all the kind words, the cards and the beautiful flowers for the passing of my brother. But truly thankful for all the prayers, especially from the prayer group and Pastor Clint and Pastor Michael for the duration of his illness. No one was a stranger to him. He loved to visit with people and travel. I like to think that he has made his final trip to heaven and was greeted by friends and family and making new friends! Going to miss him dearly!
Chuck & Gloria Ditsworth
Good Friday Nursery Volunteers
We are looking for one adult volunteer and several youth volunteers to provide child care for our joint Good Friday service this Friday with Good News Community Church from 7-8pm. If you would be willing to help us provide a safe and nurturing space for our youngest disciples please either reply to this email or let us know by calling the church office.
Again this year, our lilies will have even more meaning. We have decided to add to the cost of each lily and use these proceeds to benefit Discovery House. So while we celebrate the resurrection, we will also be ministering to people less fortunate. The lily alone will be $11.00, but if you choose to give to our Discovery House mission, it will be $15.00. Please call Cheri at the church office at 336-1649 to place your order, and please let us know if this is in memory of, or honoring someone. The deadline for ordering your lily is Wednesday, March 28th.
One Great Hour of Sharing
On Sunday, April 1st, we will be collecting our One Great Hour of Sharing offering during our worship services. One Great Hour of Sharing supports the Presbyterian Hunger Program, Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, and Self-Development of People, enabling them to bring the joy and love of Christ to some of the most vulnerable and desperate people and places around the world. Please give generously.
90th Birthday Celebration
Everyone is invited to the 90th Birthday Celebration for Dean Poyzer on Saturday, April 7th at First Presbyterian Church, Spirit Lake Fellowship Hall from 2-4pm. If you are unable to attend, cards may be sent to Dean at 402 N 9th, Estherville, IA 51334. The family requests no gifts please.
Confirmation Sunday will be held during our single worship service at 8:50am on April 8th. Confirmation students are expected to join us as we celebrate the relationships, faith commitment, and new life that they bring to our congregation. You are also invited to join us during and following the service for a short time of reception and celebration including refreshments.
Join us in Sharing “Acts of Kindness”
We want to encourage church members to sacrifice a few dollars or a few minutes to perform an act of kindness for someone else and show them God’s love through that act. It can be as simple as buying a flower for a friend, paying for the next person in line at the drive through, or helping an elderly person scoop snow. Whatever it is, we want to know about it! We will set up a poster board with a mason jar drawn on it and cut out shapes to “fill up” the mason jar. Church members can write out their acts of kindness and place it on the jar. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can do so. Our goal is to fill it up with “Acts of Kindness.”
Reforming (2nd)Service Ushers/Greeters Needed
We are in need of Ushers/Greeters for our 2nd Service. Responsibilities include distributing bulletins and greeting worshippers at the center sanctuary doors as well as taking a head count of worshippers (including praise and worship team and those in the nursery. A sign-up sheet is located in the narthex. Sign up for one week or whatever works with your schedule.
Wednesday, March 28th
Meal: Baked Potato Bar
Meal Crew: Karey Winkel, Wayne Johnson
Adult Ed Classes
- Romans — Women’s Bible Study led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Explore the New Testament with the Great Courses
- Ask the Pastors – led by Pastor Clint
Sunday School Adult Ed Class:
- Ask the Pastors – led by Pastor Clint
2018 Student Internship
We are excited to announce that we intend to offer another paid internship opportunity within our youth and family ministries this summer. This year’s internship will be held in partnership with the Lakeshore Center who will also be providing the intern’s housing and food for the entire internship. We would love for you to share this opportunity with any undergraduate or graduate student who you think might be interested. More information can be found on our website, including the application, at fpcspiritlake.org/internship/.
Couples Boundary Waters Trip
We are thrilled to invite married couples to consider participating in a 5-6 day canoe trip into the Boundary Waters this summer. The trip will provide the quiet, space, and freedom to reconnect with each other as well as fellowship with other couples in our congregation. The tentative start dates for the trip are either July 23rd or 24th. If you are interested in participating or have questions of any kind feel free to contact either Doug Stueven, John Knabe, or the church office.
The children’s and lap quilts are now in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. These quilts have been given in the past to CAASA, Dickinson County Public Health for the “New Moms” program, Lakes Regional Healthcare for the new babies, Gentiva Hospice and Accura Care Center. Please help with this project which provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30 AM is at Lakes Regional Healthcare Coffee Shop. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat.
Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
CHERISH CENTER ONE-IN-HEART BANQUET
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Jack & Nadine Hough on the passing of Jack’s brother, John, this past week.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Mary Waters on her passing this past week.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Kurt Korver on his passing this past week.
- Todd Schuelka having surgery at Mayo Clinic on Tuesday.
- Roger Nolting lung cancer started Hospice.
- John has breathing and health issues.
- Shannon Siefker recovering from hip surgery.
- Kathy Huitink beginning new infusion procedure.
- Kathy Nygaard continued chemo treatments.
- Jan Lange stage 1 breast cancer.
- Randy Cauthren kidney transplant needed.
- Jen Prentice recovering from surgeries.
- Barbie, Ruth Ann Kelly’s aunt, recovering from a fall.
- Kathryn Hansen recovering from pneumonia, influenza A and the flu.
- Mickey Arneson recovering from surgery.
- Eldon Haas recovering at home.
- Jocelyn Kitzinger recovering from elbow surgery.
- Samantha Vos recovering from shoulder surgery.
- Carol Armstrong recovering at Accura in Milford from knee surgery.
- Mandy Roger, niece of Doug Stueven, having health issues.
- Melody Peyton started cancer treatments in Chicago
- Kevin in hospice.
- Bob Huls with stage 4 colon cancer.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one month, unless otherwise requested.
- Weekly Prayer – 4:45pm
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- Adult Handbell Rehearsal – 7pm
- Chancel Choir Rehearsal – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Act II at the High School office – 11:20am
- Maundy Thursday Service – 7pm
- Good Friday Service – 7pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- No Sunday School – 10:15am
- No Confirmation -10:15am
- No Adult Ed Classes – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Tues Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Eulyn Riemersma
Liturgist – Rick Reinking
Ushers – Roger & Karen Lahm, Ron Niebruegge, Wayne & Kathleen Johnson
Greeters – Kieth Tadlock & Marvin Stockdale
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Soundbooth – Jackie Jenkins, Mike Reekers &
Nursery – Amy Profit & Emma Jenness
Coffee & Treats – Ron Jenkins & Keith & Beryl Marra
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Meghan Humphrey & Annika Stecker
Usher/Greeter – Bernie VanRoekel
Nursery – Teresa Beck
Sound & Power Point – Tillotson family
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA