Your Weekly Update
Wednesday, September 21st
Meal: Tator Tot Casserole
Meal Crew: Edna VanderWolde & Karey Winkel
~~ More Meal Crew Members Needed ~~
Please contact the church office if you can help serve meals anytime in the next four weeks so that we can be sure to count on your help. Thank you in advance!
- Freezer Meals
- For the Life of the World – Rick Porter
- The Book of Daniel – Rachelle Gewecke
- 10 Commandments—Clint Loveall
Recharge Gym Teachers Needed
We are still in need of gym teachers for Sunday School and Wednesday Recharge. If you are willing to serve in that capacity, please contact Pastor Michael for more information.
POET Dinner Outing
Our next POET Outing will be to Little Swan Lake Winery on Sunday, September 25th. Dave Rowley & Ryan Sather will perform between 4-6pm, and dinner of Bison Sirloin Tip will be served at 5pm. Please RSVP at fpcspiritlake.org or call the church office ASAP to make your reservations.
High School Youth Group Schedule Change
Starting on Sunday September 28th, our high school youth group will have a slightly revised schedule. Students can still eat anytime before 6:30pm but youth group will not start until 7:00pm. We will plan to be done no later than 8:30pm. Also, starting this week high school Act II will meet at 12:30pm after worship on Sundays in the Fireside room at the church. We will provide a small meal and hope that you can join us for our time of study and discipleship.
Markers of the Covenant – A series on the 10 Commandments
Most Christians claim that the 10 Commandments are “extremely important,” though most also can’t name them all. What are they, who are they for, what do they mean, and why does it matter? Join us beginning Sept 11 as we begin a sermon series on the 10 Commandments which will also be a Sunday School and Recharge Wednesday class with follow-up discussion.
High School Lessons and Updates are Now Social
We are excited to announce that this year, the high school will begin to integrate our weekly lessons into social media.
If you choose to subscribe you will get updates regarding our weekly lesson, youth group events, lesson related challenges, and much more!
Make sure to subscribe now so that you don’t miss out!
Twitter: @fpcConnect, Facebook: facebook.com/fpcConnect, and
PW Fall Gathering
The Presbyterian Women Fall Gathering will take place on Monday, September 26th at Memorial Presbyterian Church, 112 E Willow St., Cherokee, IA. Registration begins at 8:45am and lunch/registration fee is $6.50. This year’s theme is “Lord Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace.” The offering will be divided between CAASA and Lakeshore Center. Don’t forget your Mission Offering. For more information or about carpooling, please contact Cheri in the office at 336-1649.
Again this year, First Presbyterian Church will be hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. This has been a great experience for us and we are thankful for the opportunity to welcome the team. The numbers have grown steadily and we are expecting well over 75 young men at each meal. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex or sign up on our website at https://fpcspiritlake.org/football-breakfasts/
Autumn Soup, Sandwich & Pie Supper
The Soup, Sandwich & Pie Supper is right around the corner and there are a lot of slots to fill. The sign-up sheet is located in the narthex. We need your help to make this year’s supper a success.
New Member Recognition
For those of you who have already made the commitment to join First Presbyterian Church and those of you still in the decision making process, the Membership Committee wants you to know that new members will be recognized on October 23rd. If you have decided to join and have not completed the necessary paperwork, please call or stop by the church office.
We are very excited to announce the upcoming Women’s Retreat to again be held at Lakeshore Center at Okoboji (formerly Presbyterian Camp) Saturday, Oct. 8. New this year: First Presbyterian Church and Lakeshore Center are partnering to offer an exciting new speaker/singer/songwriter, Jill Miller (http://www.jillmillermusic.com). Also new is the option of extending the retreat with a Friday night session which will include a movie, supper, discussion, and a “girls’ night” sleepover.
- Friday night beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Childcare provided Saturday
- Registration discount for registrations before September 30
For additional information and a registration form, or register online at: www.lakeshorecenteratokoboji.org
or call the camp at 712-337-3313 or First Presbyterian Church at 712-336-1649.
This is one retreat you won’t want to miss! Register today!
- Our sympathies are extended to Don & Joan McCulloch on the passing of Joan’s mom, Pearl Wolf.
- Laureen Andersen recovering from hip replacement surgery.
- Bruce DeJong recovering from surgery.
- Nadine Hough recovering from ankle surgery.
- Kathy Huitink having tests/treatment of health issues.
- Karl Kiilsholm having health issues.
- Mary Cornell recovering from hip surgery.
- Keith Tadlock beginning radiation treatment.
- Katy Kline recovering from skin graft surgery.
- Bev Butler recovering from surgery.
- Amy Tanner suffering with a brain bleed.
- Gayle Raymond who is dealing with health issues.
- Mary Zierke suffering with pancreatic cancer.
- Lee Struthers suffering with leukemia.
- Tom Gruber suffering with health issues.
- Marj Roseberry recovering from hip surgery.
- Mark Goetsch recovering from a work accident.
- Eric Avery fighting brain cancer.
- Velma Ashburn dealing with health issues.
- Kenny Beck fighting brain cancer.
- Judy Stueven recovering from health issues.
- Bennett Stecker for healing and response to treatment.
- Jennifer Dukes Lee’s father recovering from surgery.
- Tammy (Bartels) Martin recovering from an aneurysm.
- Pat Kelly suffering with health issues.
- Betty Lamer recovering from an illness.
- Talia Patton as she suffers kidney rejection.
- Jim Arens, diagnosed with interstitial lung disease.
- Mitchell Elmquist struggling with lymphoma.
- Jay Anderson as he awaits transplants and further recovery.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- Adult Handbell practice – 7pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7:15pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:15am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Adult Ed – 10:30am
- Act II – 2pm
- PW Fall Gathering – 8:45am
- PW Sewing -9am
- Weekly Prayer – 9am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Reformed (1st) Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Arla Stover
Liturgist – Gloria Ditsworth
Ushers – Dan VanBeek, Tom Brodie, Jack & Sherryl Jones
Greeters – Jake & Ruth DeJong
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Nursery – Shawnda Prochaska & Kelly Stecker
Coffee – Dan & Peg VanBeek
Reformed (2nd) Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Emily Andersen, Pressley Cochran-Bray & Ron Williams
Greeter/Usher – Charlotte Baldwin
Nursery – Stacy Howard
Power Point – Brice Pratt
Sound – Chris Pratt
Read Your Newsletter Here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA