Your Weekly Update
Ash Wednesday Service
Please join us on Wednesday, March 1st to begin Lent with our Ash Wednesday Service at 7pm.
World Day of Prayer
Friday, March 3rd, 1:00pm
“Am I Being Unfair to You”
Invite your friends, family and members of the community to join us at 1:00pm on Friday, March 3rd to celebrate World Day of Prayer at Grace Lutheran Church, Spirit Lake. The World Day of Prayer is a worldwide movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year. The host country for WDP 2017 is the Philippines. The women of the Philippines call us to explore concepts of economic justice in both the Philippines’ context and around the world and our response in light of God’s generosity. (Matthew 20: 1–16), with a theme of “Am I Being Unfair to You”. Refreshments will be served following the service.
Wednesday, March 1st
Meal: Potatoes & Ham
Meal Crew: Doug & Barb Johnson, Karey Winkel, Sherryl Jones & Jane Loveall
- Notice: 2nd Semester dues are due.
- Craft Item Needed: empty wrapping paper tubes
Lent Preaching Series: Failings of the Faithful
Þ March 5—Eve
Þ March 12—Euodia and Synthyche
Þ March 19—Jonah
Þ March 26—David
Þ April 2—Ananias and Saphira
Þ April 9—Peter
Þ April 13—Judas
Þ April 14—Elijah
Þ April 16—Jesus
The Sunday Sermons will be followed each Wednesday Night at Recharge with a class taught by Pastor Clint.
Lenten Bible Study
This year on the Sundays in Lent we will be looking at some of the most significant barriers to faithful discipleship we encounter as American Christians, and looking for guidance in the Parables of Jesus. Each week will highlight a particular struggle and one of Jesus’ stories that addresses it. We hope you can join us for great meals, warm fellowship, and thoughtful discussions each Sunday afternoon starting March 5th.
¨ March 5 – Busyness and Banquets – Our modern obsession with productivity and Jesus’ Parable of the Wedding Feast
¨ March 12 – Materialism and More – Why do we “need” so much stuff and the Parable of the Rich Fool
¨ March 19 – Callous Complacency – Why are we immune to suffering and Jesus’s Parable of the Good Samaritan
¨ March 26 – Fear and Faith – Facing our fears and refusing to live a small life – The parable of the Talents
¨ April 2 – Blessedly Broken – why is it so hard to admit we need help? – The Parable of the Foolish Builder
¨ April 9 – The Savior and the Self – Avoiding Narcissism in a self-obsessed world – The Pharisee and The Tax Collector
Dinner ~ 4:30pm Bible Study ~ 5:15-6:00pm
A sign up sheet for 3 soups, bread, veggies, and 2 desserts is posted in the narthex.
Sunday Morning Coffee Schedule
We are in the process of making up a new “Coffee Schedule” for the next year. If you would be interested in helping to make & serve coffee or baking, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-1649.
Sunday School “Snack Providers and Servers”
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/NUT-FREE SNACK LIST is placed in the library window. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red please) are needed for Sunday School. If you leave the worship service during the last hymn, you have time to prepare your snacks for serving. This week our Sunday School snacks will be provided by the Gewecke family, next week will be the Donnenwerth family.
Our Daily Bread Devotionals
The March, April, May “Our Daily Bread” devotionals are here.
The Baby/Lap Quilts are ready to be finished. They are located in the chest of drawers in fellowship hall.
Receive the Weekly Sermon in Your Email
We are excited to announce that you can now subscribe to receive our newest sermons conveniently in your inbox. If you would like to receive the weekly sermon, you can subscribe on our homepage at fpcspiritlake.org.
Cherish House Baby Bottle Campaign
The Baby Bottles are due back to the church.
Watch an overview on Kailee & Emma Jenness’ mission trip to Haiti.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of June LaValleur on the passing of her sister, Kathy.
- Jay Anderson regarding transplant list. 2/22
- Bart Duncan recovering from stroke and surgery at Mountain Valley Regional Rehab Hospital, 3700 N Windsong Dr., Prescott Valley, AZ 86314.
- Hilary Vicker battling with breast cancer.
- Hannah Brumley’s grandparents.
- Tim Woods recovering from a fall.
- Walt Main having colon surgery. 2/15
- Sue battling cancer.
- Debbie battling cancer.
- Kathy Huitink recovering from tests and treatment at Mayo.
- Susie Bartels recovering from surgery.
- Denice (Wiersma) recovering from surgery.
- Garrett Richardson recovering from injury.
- Angela Akers recovering from surgery.
- Family member of a member of our congregation being treated for cancer.
- Paul Ostendorf who will be having back surgery.
- Marcia Hill recovering from a fractured leg.
- Kris Peterson diagnosed with cancer.
- Sandy Goetsch recovering from surgery.
- Darla Ubben beginning chemo.
- Paul Kamermeyer diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.
- Finley Brunsvold going through chemo treatments.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group – 7pm
- Ash Wednesday Service – 7pm
- Adult Handbell practice – 7pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7:15pm
- Chancel Choir practice – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- PW Coordinating Team Meeting – 5pm
- World Day of Prayer at Grace Lutheran Church – 1pm
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:15am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Adult Education – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- Act II – 12:30pm
- Worship Service at Welcov – 2:45pm
- Lenten Bible Study – 4:30pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Weekly Prayer – 9am
- Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Building & Grounds Meeting – 6:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Pianist – Rachelle Gewecke
Liturgist – Erin Davelaar
Ushers – Ryan & Erin Davelaar, Ron Niebruegge & Gene Ringsdorf
Greeters – Joy Albert & Mavis Palmer
Video Taping – Keith Brockmeyer
Nursery – Kelly Stecker & Megan Donnenwerth
Coffee – Jim & Mary Quitno
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Marissa Sill, Annika Stecker & Liz Steiner
Nursery – Amber Lippon
Sound – Chris Sill
Power Point – Logan Sill
Read Your Newsletter Here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA