Your Weekly Update
Over the past 3 years, First Presbyterian Church has participated in the fundraising efforts of the Okoboji200, an organization out of Des Moines that raises money to fight sex trafficking in Iowa and in Nepal through a partnership with Lighthouse Ministries. On October 4th at 6:15pm we will welcome the directors of those two organizations as well as a young woman who was rescued from sexual slavery by the support and efforts of these ministries. Their stories will not be easy to hear, but are important in the fight against human trafficking and sexual slavery. This is a world-wide problem, but it is not only in other parts of the world. Iowa is significantly affected by sex trafficking and it often thrives in places where people assume it only happens somewhere else. Join us for this important conversation, all are welcome.
- Rev. Raju Sundas – director – Lighthouse Ministries – Nepal
- Rev Rocky Vest – Founder/director – Okoboji 200
- Hannah – Woman rescued from sex trafficking in Nepal
October 4th, 6:15pm
FPC Sanctuary, 3501 Hill Ave
Refreshments to follow.
Wednesday, October 4th
Meal: Pasta Bar
Meal Crew: Dar Sheldon, Pat Thomson, Karey Winkel, Wayne & Kathleen Johnson
Recharge begins on Wednesdays with a meal starting at 5:30pm, full youth programming.
We have the Okoboji 200 Program beginning at 6:15pm that everyone is invited to join us in the Sanctuary. Refreshments will follow.
First Presbyterian Church is hosting breakfast and team devotionals on varsity game days. This has been a great experience for us and we are thankful for the opportunity to welcome the team. The numbers have grown steadily and we are regularly serving well over 70 young men at each meal. In order to keep up with the demand, we need your help. This can involve donating food, cooking, serving, or coordinating volunteers. If you are interested in being a part of a breakfast team, call 336-1649, check the sign up sheet in the narthex or sign up on our website.
2nd Annual Autumn Soup Supper
Mark your calendar for our 2nd Annual Autumn Soup Supper on Wednesday, October 11th. Our sign-up sheets are posted on the easel in the Narthex, so be thinking about where you would like to help during this year’s Autumn Soup Supper??!!
Pastor Appreciation Treat Sign-Up
The Session and Congregational Life Committee are collecting goodies for the Pastor Appreciation Celebration, and if you would like to volunteer to bring goodies please sign up below.
PW Bible Study/Fellowship NOTICE!
If you were not able to be with us for our study and discussion of how God used groups to influence the theological climate of the Jews and prepare for the coming Messiah…
- Please ask Cheri for a copy of the Study Guide
- Sign out the DVD, Session 3
- Pick up the homework we’re all completing for our next study taking place on Thursday, October 12th.
Hope you can make it to our next Bible Study/Fellowship!
Upper Des Moines and Spirit Life Food Pantries
The congregations of our county take turns supporting the Upper Des Moines and Spirit Life Food Pantries. Long ago it was decided by the churches that the county would be best served by having these pantries. Our congregation has the opportunity to provide to the pantries for the months of April and October. Please consider donating your items during the month of October. Items may be placed in the wagon in the Narthex. Monetary gifts are welcome as well.
FPC is Collecting Freezer Meals
We try to keep freezer meals on hand for families in need, but our collection is getting low. So we are asking for your help in restocking the freezer. Thank you for your continued support in this ministry.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30AM has changed the location back to Hey Good Cookies. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat. Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
Our Daily Bread Devotionals
The September, October, November Our Daily Bread Devotionals are here. Pick up your copy today.
Opportunity to Serve
Saturday, October 21st our church joins with the United Methodist Church to help serve the noon meal at The Banquet, 900 East 8th Street, Sioux Falls SD. This ministry depends on its many volunteers to serve those who are hungry for food and fellowship in a safe environment. You can chose to leave at 6:30 or 8:30 (early shift helps prepare the meal) and either car pool or drive yourself. Parking is available on the north side of The Banquet building as is the entrance door. There is a signup sheet in the Narthex or call the church office 336-1649 if you plan to go. It is a great and rewarding experience! More info at thebanquetsf.org
We are collecting new and “like new” children’s books to take along to be given to children that are guests at The Banquet. There is a collection box in the narthex. Families are encouraged to take part in this mission trip. Thank you everyone for helping!
Your Mission Committee
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Jim & Marlene Avery on the passing of their son, Eric.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Keith & Sharma Brockmeyer on the passing of Sharma’s Grandma, Jenny, this past week.
- Kelly Swancutt’s uncle having tests.
- Charles Klaassen having tests in Sioux Falls.
- Dayle Broocks recovering from eye surgery.
- Kelly Swancutt seeing a specialist on Wednesday.
- Kelly Darling dealing with heart failure.
- Ruth DeJong who is hospitalized.
- Dee Fibelstad recovering from knee surgery.
- Kathy Huitink has ALS test group checkup on Wednesday..
- Dave Radcliffe treated at the heart hospital and recovering at home.
- Jason VanderWolde and all the power linemen in FL helping after Hurricane Irma.
- Holly needing more surgery.
- Ken Westergard dealing with excess fluid.
- Steve Kwikkel with pancreatic cancer & chemo.
- Cindy Phillips dealing with cancer.
- Dave Dau recovering from surgery that went well and mass was benign.
- Lawrence Lupkes beginning new treatment.
- Jared Lewis recovering from surgery.
- Lewis Johnson recovering from surgery.
- Laurie Phillips dealing with medical issues.
- Mark Goetsch recovering from medical issues.
- Linnea Lambert recovering at home.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Phil DenHerder recovering from surgery.
- Leona Koele recovering from stroke.
- Karen Clark dealing with medical issues.
- Jen Watts niece, Ellie, recovering from surgery.
- Roxie Moriston undergoing chemotherapy.
- Mike Reekers diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis.
- Paul Scharnberg battling cancer reoccurrence.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- Weekly Prayer – 4:45pm
- Recharge – 5:30
- High School Youth Group – 6:45pm
- Adult Handbell Rehearsal – 7pm
- 2nd Service Rehearsal – 7:15pm
- Chancel Choir Rehearsal – 8pm
- Ladies Coffee Break at Hey Good Cookies – 8:30am
- Men’s Bible Study begins – 9am
- Act II at the High School office – 11:20am
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:15am
- Confirmation – 10:15am
- Adult Ed Classes – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Tues Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
- Building & Grounds – 6:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Charlene Radcliffe
Liturgist – Ruth Ann Kelly
Ushers – Randy & Vonda Buchman and John & Angie Peterson
Greeters – Todd, June, Caleb & Addison Howatt
Video Taping – Dan Vicker
Soundbooth – Pat Butler, Jackie Jenkins & Milt Nolting
Nursery – Lisa Kraus
Coffee – Keith & Beryl Marra
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Gary Lambert, Jillian Murray, Adrie Stecker & Liz Steiner
Nursery – Kari Bruinsma
Power Point – Brice Pratt
Sound – Chris Pratt
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA