Your Weekly Update
7th-12th No Apologies
The annual No Apologies event will be held on January 31st at 6:30pm. This year’s No Apologies conference will bring thousands of students from across northwest Iowa to enjoy entertainment from Bonray and illusionist Joshua Jordan and hear a message of hope and encouragement from Cherish Center Executive Director Jon Pausley. All 7th-12th grade students are invited to meet at church at 5:00pm for a free dinner and then to leave for the event no later than 5:15pm and return by 9:00pm. There is no cost to attend No Apologies.
Parents, you are also invited to attend the parent only technology training session where Pastor Michael will be presenting on the fundamentals and tools for parenting with the new age of digital communications. Join us on the bus for a night of learning and encouragement alongside your student!
Super Bowl Party
All 7th-12th grade students are invited to join us for our annual Super Bowl Party! Join us at the church at 5:00pm on Sunday, February 4th for fun, games, food, and, of course, the Super Bowl! We will transform the Fellowship Hall into a large screen movie theater with couches complete with your favorite game time snacks. Whether you are a sports fan or not, join us for a great evening of fun and fellowship! No RSVP is necessary, simply bring a dish to share. Let’s “kickoff” a great time together!
You are invited to the annual Valentine’s Dinner held at the First Presbyterian Church in Spirit Lake on Saturday, February 10th at 5:30pm. The Valentine’s Dinner is hosted by the youth and families of First Presbyterian Church in Spirit Lake and Lake Park as an opportunity to enjoy excellent food and fellowship and all the proceeds benefit their joint summer youth mission trip with the churches in New York City. Childcare is provided and tickets are $15 per person or $30 per couple. Tickets can be purchased in the church office at FPC in Spirit Lake or can be reserved at 336-1649 from now until the event.
Reforming (2nd) Service Ushers/Greeters Needed
We are in need of Ushers/Greeters for our 2nd Service. Responsibilities include distributing bulletins and greeting worshippers at the center sanctuary doors as well as taking a head count of worshippers (including praise and worship team and those in the nursery. A sign-up sheet is located in the narthex. Sign up for one week or whatever works with your schedule.
Rides to Church
The Deacons are willing to provide rides for anyone who needs rides, especially this winter. Contact the church for rides and they will get ahold of the Deacons.
Wednesday, January 31st
Meal: Pasta Bar
Meal Crew: Pat Thomson, Jack & Sherryl Jones, Doug & Barb Johnson
Adult Ed Classes
- Romans — Women’s Bible Study led by Rachelle Gewecke
- Explore the New Testament with the Great Courses
- Martin Luther—The man who changed the church – led by Pastor Clint
- Parenting & Technology – led by Michael Gewecke begins February 4th
Notice: Our 2nd Semester Dues Are Due
Sunday School “Snack Providers and Servers”
A sign-up sheet and PEANUT/NUT-FREE SNACK LIST is placed in the library window or you may sign up online. Please take a snack list and sign up for your favorite date!! 5 dozen snacks and 2 large juice (not red please) are needed for Sunday School. If you leave the worship service during the last hymn, you have time to prepare your snacks for serving. This week snacks will be provided by the Beck family. Next week’s snacks will be provided by the Gewecke family.
The children’s and lap quilts are now in the fellowship hall and ready for completion. Please take them home and complete one or as many as you like. These quilts have been given in the past to CAASA, Dickinson County Public Health for the “New Moms” program, Lakes Regional Healthcare for the new babies, Gentiva Hospice and Accura Care Center. Please help with this project which provides warmth to many members of our community and beyond.
Ladies….of all ages:
Coffee break time every Thursday morning, 8:30 AM is at Lakes Regional Healthcare Coffee Shop. No agenda, just get together with friends and a little chit chat.
Questions: Call Lori Vicker at 515-249-6684.
American Red Cross Blood Drive
Wed, Jan 31, 1-6pm
Milford Community Center
Call 800.733.2767 for an appointment.
Baby Bottle Campaign
Beginning February 4th, First Presbyterian Church will be participating in a Baby Bottle Campaign to benefit the Cherish Center. Baby bottles will be available for you to pick up and fill with your loose change or any other way you would like to help.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Keith & Sharma Brockmeyer on the passing of Sharma’s Dad, Dwaine Kruse, this past week.
- Our sympathies are extended to the family of Mike Pedersen on the passing of his wife, Robyn.
- Kathy Nygaard starting chemotherapy.
- Wilma Clauson recovering at Accura.
- Marvella VanKlompenburg recovering from knee surgery.
- Carla Radcliffe recovering from emergency appendectomy.
- India Shippley recovering from a car accident.
- Steve Thompson hospitalized with heart issues.
- Blake Smith suffering with health issues.
- Christy Miller suffering with influenza.
- John Knabe’s nephew Dietrich surgery to repair brain bleed.
- Dave Butterworth traveling to Singapore for a prayer convention.
- Gary Eaton suffering with shingles.
- Jared Lewis recovering from leg surgery.
- Vicki Grems recovering from knee surgery.
- Ruth Nolting recovering from ankle surgery.
- Betty VanderZwaag having medical issues.
- Mike May, Jr. surgery and follow up tests were successful.
- Margaret Plunkett battling cancer.
- Joan Baird recovering at Pearl Valley Rehab Center in Estherville.
- Heath Huberg battling cancer.
- Reba Williams battling cancer.
- Laura Fagen’s mom, Pat, in Hospice Care.
- Kolby suffering with chest pains.
- Kristen Kuiper recovering from a stroke.
- Dave Bartels recovering from breathing difficulties at home.
- Tomy Norman recovering from a shattered hip.
- Denice Wiersma battling cancer.
- Rod Johnson cancer has returned.
- Pauly Eaton diagnosed with cancer.
- Lawrence Lupkes’ cancer returned.
- Kathy Huitink being treated for pressure sores.
- Russ Thomson dealing with medical issues.
- A young man recovering from injuries.
- Abby, Pauly Eaton’s granddaughter suffering injuries after car accident.
- Jen Watts niece, Ellie, as she adapts to her partial prosthetic and therapy.
- Kelly Swancutt’s uncle having tests.
- Charles Klaassen having tests in Sioux Falls.
- Holly Hansen recovering from radiation.
- Steve Kwikkel with pancreatic cancer & chemo.
- Cindy Phillips clear PET scan, doing chemo maintenance.
- Laurie Phillips dealing with medical issues.
- Emily Butterworth recovering from surgery.
- Karen Clark dealing with medical issues.
Loved ones are kept on our prayer list for one
month, unless otherwise requested.
- Weekly Prayer – 4:45pm
- Recharge – 5:30pm
- High School Youth Group Dinner – 5pm leave for No Apologies at 5:15pm
- Adult Handbell Rehearsal – 7pm
- Chancel Choir Rehearsal – 8pm
- Men’s Bible Study – 9am
- Act II at the High School office – 11:20am
- No PWCT Meeting
- Reformed Worship Service – 8:50am
- Coffee and fellowship – 10am
- Sunday School – 10:15am
- Confirmation -10:15am
- Adult Ed Classes – 10:30am
- Reforming Worship Service – 11:15am
- 7th-12th Grade Super Bowl Party – 5pm
- PW Sewing – 9am
- Tues Women’s Bible Study – 1:30pm
Reformed Worship Service ~ 8:50am
Organist – Eulyn Riemersma
Liturgist – Stan Sybesma
Ushers – Jay Anderson family
Greeters – Vernice Wahl
Video Taping – Wes Farmer
Soundbooth – Jackie Jenkins, Mike Reekers & Pat Butler
Nursery – Amy Webber
Coffee – Jim & Mary Quitno
Reforming Worship Service ~ 11:15am
Praise Team – Kari Bruinsma, Pressley Cochran-Bray & Meghan Humphrey
Usher/Greeter – Dave & Nancy Dau
Nursery – Teresa Beck
Sound & Power Point – Chris & Logan Sill
Read your Newsletter here
This email was sent to
why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences
First Presbyterian Church · 3501 Hill Ave · Spirit Lake, IA 51360 · USA